Is it really mandatory not to kneel after Communion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alma
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that there should not be a communion hymn but a sacred time of silence after communion. With this statement are not implying that you are less reverent, just that the priest should not allow for music during and immediately after the distribution of Communion.
The Church doesn’t agree with you since it establishes rubrics for both the Communion Chant and a post-Communion congregational (not choir alone) hymn.
 
The Church doesn’t agree with you since it establishes rubrics for both the Communion Chant and a post-Communion congregational (not choir alone) hymn.
My wording was stronger than what I meant. I was referring to the definitions in paragraphs 43 and 45 of chapter II of the GIRM. I have the impression that usually with the succession of hymns the rubrics are not respected. Can you please give the reference for your statements, I want to read the details of your point of view.
 
My wording was stronger than what I meant. I was referring to the definitions in paragraphs 43 and 45 of chapter II of the GIRM. I have the impression that usually with the succession of hymns the rubrics are not respected. Can you please give the reference for your statements, I want to read the details of your point of view.
GIRM 86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the “communitarian” nature of the procession to receive Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful.74 If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner.
Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.
  1. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Communion chant: (1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song chosen in accordance with no. 86 above. This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or cantor with the people.
If there is no singing, however, the Communion antiphon found in the Missal may be recited either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a lector. Otherwise the priest himself says it after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful.
  1. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation.
You will note that there is reference #74 in article 86. That leads us to Inaestimabile Donum “17. The faithful are to be recommended not to omit to make proper thanksgiving after Communion. They may do this during the celebration with a period of silence, with a hymn, psalm or other song of praise,(26) or also after the celebration, if possible by staying behind to pray for a suitable time.”
 
I don’t know what the official teachings of the Church are, but I always kneel following Communion until the vessels are cleaned/purified and the Tabernacle is shut…just feels right that while Our Lord is present on The Altar and/or the Tabernacle is open, I remain kneeling saying a prayer of Thanksgiving for having received Him.
Indeed I do the very same. 👍
I could not bring myself to do otherwise in His Presence. :gopray:
 
The Church doesn’t agree with you since it establishes rubrics for both the Communion Chant and a post-Communion congregational (not choir alone) hymn.
However, Pope Benedict XVI makes this interesting observation in Sacramentum Caritatis:
  1. Another moment of the celebration needing to be mentioned is the distribution and reception of Holy Communion. I ask everyone, especially ordained ministers and those who, after adequate preparation and in cases of genuine need, are authorized to exercise the ministry of distributing the Eucharist, to make every effort to ensure that this simple act preserves its importance as a personal encounter with the Lord Jesus in the sacrament. For the rules governing correct practice in this regard, I would refer to those documents recently issued on the subject. (151) All Christian communities are to observe the current norms faithfully, seeing in them an expression of the faith and love with which we all must regard this sublime sacrament. Furthermore, the precious time of thanksgiving after communion should not be neglected: besides the singing of an appropriate hymn, it can also be most helpful to remain recollected in silence. (152)
This was one of the propositions made by the Fathers of the 2005 Synod on the Eucharist.
 
I think kneeling after receiving Holy Communion has been fully address in the above responses, but I wanted to address something else the OP stated. I am wondering is the OP is not confused about what they are being told is “expressly” prohibited. Prior to speaking about kneeling after Communion the OP states:
Wishing to counteract that attitude and to show my deep devotion and respect for this most Sacred Sacrament, I’ve been kneeling to receive Communion, while I extended both hands, one on top of the other, so that the Minister placed the Host on the palm of my left hand, and I consumed it with my right hand.
This in fact is expressly, although gently, prohibited. Please see GIRM 160:
…The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reason for this norm.
Personally I believe that bringing back the communion rail and eliminating communion in the hand would solve a lot of problems, but I am not holding my breath. The current norms of the Church are the norms of the Church. Disobedience is disobedience whether you are being pious or participating in a clown mass.
You should also note the last paragraphs in both GIRM 42 & 43
GIRM 42… A common posture, to be observed by all participants, is a sign of unity of the members of the Christian community gathered for the sacred Liturgy: it both expresses and fosters the intention and spiritual attitude of the participants.
GIRM 43…With a view to uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.
I use to be the guy sitting front and center so that everyone, especially the priest, could see how pious I was. The truth is I was being proud and arrogant.
 
This in fact is expressly, although gently, prohibited. Please see GIRM 160:
No it isn’t. Rome has already addressed that question:
Congregation for Divine Worship 2/26/03: Prot. N. 47/03/L
This Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has received your letter dated 1 December 2002, related to the application of the norms approved by the Conference of Bishops of the United States of America, with the subsequent recognitio of this Congegation, as regards the question of the posture for receiving Holy Communion.
As the authority by virtue of whose recognitio the norm in question has attained the force of law, this Dicastery is competent to specify the manner in which the norm is to be understood for the sake of a proper application. Having received more than a few letters regarding this matter from different locations in the United States of America, the Congregation wishes to ensure that its position on the matter is clear.
To this end, it is perhaps useful to respond to your inquiry by repeating the content of a letter that the Congregation recently addressed to a Bishop in the United States of America from whose Diocese a number of pertinent letters had been received. The letter states: “…while this Congregation gave the recognitio to the norm desired by the Bishops’ Conference of your country that people stand for Holy Communion, this was done on the condition that communicants who choose to kneel are not to be denied Holy Communion on these grounds. Indeed, the faithful should not be imposed upon nor accused of disobedience and of acting illicitly when they kneel to receive Holy Communion.”

This Dicastery hopes that the citation given here will provide an adequate answer to your letter. At the same time, please be assured that the Congregation remains ready to be of assistance if you should need to contact it again.
With every prayerful good wish, I am,
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Mons. Mario Marini
Undersecretary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top