Is it sinful in bad times to ask God to reveal future happiness?

• Thread starter Thread starter Madaglan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madaglan

I’m just wondering if, when really in bad times for a long period of time, it is not sinful to pray to God that He reveal to you good times (if any) that lay down the road. Not specifically, just in general. In other words, praying to God to give you a hope and a reason for continuing to live.

For some reason I’m thinking that it might be sinful, since it suggests that one doesn’t trust in the goodness of God. But if one is really down, isn’t it reasonable that he should be given some hope down the future to which he can look?

In the past four years at least I’ve prayed on numerous occassions for God to answer certain questions that are constantly tearing me down, like, “Will I ever get a girlfriend?” “Will I ever get married?” “Will I ever be happy?” “Please show me a sign showing me that I will, and perhaps another sign showing when in my life.” I figured asking God for signs isn’t that bad because I’ve read about priests who ask the saints to give them flowers in the course of a novena to show that they are listening to their prayers.

40.png
Madaglan:
I’m just wondering if, when really in bad times for a long period of time, it is not sinful to pray to God that He reveal to you good times (if any) that lay down the road. Not specifically, just in general. In other words, praying to God to give you a hope and a reason for continuing to live.

For some reason I’m thinking that it might be sinful, since it suggests that one doesn’t trust in the goodness of God. But if one is really down, isn’t it reasonable that he should be given some hope down the future to which he can look?

In the past four years at least I’ve prayed on numerous occassions for God to answer certain questions that are constantly tearing me down, like, “Will I ever get a girlfriend?” “Will I ever get married?” “Will I ever be happy?” “Please show me a sign showing me that I will, and perhaps another sign showing when in my life.” I figured asking God for signs isn’t that bad because I’ve read about priests who ask the saints to give them flowers in the course of a novena to show that they are listening to their prayers.
Hi,
Probably not sinful. The way your’e going about it. But’ try to abandon yourself to divine providence. Say ’ Thy will be done" many times a day when you go through such trials. God is your father. He will only ever do what is best for you. Such times of trial are sent to purify us, so we bear more fruit in grace, virtue and our apostolate. Trust in God. We all go through such trials. Try to embrace Gods will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back