Is it true that it is more holy to pray for souls in Purgatory than sinners on earth?

• Thread starter Thread starter Pythagoras
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pythagoras

Blessed Anne emerich said this:

She deposes that it is more holy to pray for the Poor Souls in Purgatory than for sinners who are still alive.

Is this true?

Personally I think it’s more important to pray for the conversion of
sinners especially the dying. At least the holy souls in Purgatory know they’re saved!

I may be mistaken, but I think St Gurtrude says
the same thing.

40.png
delorean_boy:
I may be mistaken, but I think St Gurtrude says
the same thing.
Yeah the prayer of st. getrude is devoted to the holy souls in purgatory.

So why is it more holier?

Yeah the prayer of st. getrude is devoted to the holy souls in purgatory.
Sometimes we can take things to literally, it may be possible that although she uses exact words, she may me just trying to emphasis the need to pray for the souls in purgatory. Also although they may be saint’s they are capable of making mistakes or holding to a wrong belief. However I am not implying that she wrong, but I am not aware of any Catholic teaching that holds to that. I personally feel that there is a necessity for both; however I think that the souls here on earth may be in deeper need of prayer than one in Purgatory.

No, Im almost positive that in her visions of Christ,
he told her that it was more noble to offer prayers, sacrafice, and alms giving for the suffering souls, rather than pray for those living.
I personally would recommend just doing both.

I don’t know if it is more holy, but those in Purgatory have a more immediate need for prayers than the living. We should pray for both especially those who are about to die, and those who may be in serious sin and in danger of damnation. Plus it may be more advantageous for us, as souls in Purgatory may soon be in Heaven and then help pray for us and our loved ones.

IF enough souls formerly in Purgatory reach Heaven because of your prayers, you may even be lucky enough to skip Purgatory yourself. that would be quite a return on your time and charity !

I want to be holy -

I pray for the holy souls in Purgatory, and I pray for those who don’t yet know the Lord, and I pray for those who sin against the Lord, and for our beloved priests, and our families, and those people who pass me on the street, and our friends, and those we love, and those we find it hard to love, and our enemies, and my goodness the world and everyone in it, and everyone who is leaving it today…

And may we meet in the sweet presence of He who created us!

40.png
wcknight:
I don’t know if it is more holy, but those in Purgatory have a more immediate need for prayers than the living. We should pray for both especially those who are about to die, and those who may be in serious sin and in danger of damnation. Plus it may be more advantageous for us, as souls in Purgatory may soon be in Heaven and then help pray for us and our loved ones.
I was thinking that too, because those souls are really suffering very greatly in purgatory, in every second sense of it. I think some have punishments that even take more than a hundred years right? The goodside of praying for them is that once they are released there will be more souls praying for you and the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back