Is it wrong to have 2 non-Catholic godparents?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cruzarte99
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cruzarte99

Guest
Is there anything wrong with having 2 non-Catholics as godparents for a Catholic Baptism even if they had been baptized? If so, what can a family do to resolve this if the Baptism had already been done? 🤷
Or is this something not to worry about?
 
If they have been baptized, then they are Catholic. What is required is they are good standing Catholics, which means they are active and not fallen away. But sometimes that gets overlooked.

It has no bearing on the baptism at all. You can’t change godparents.
 
Is there anything wrong with having 2 non-Catholics as godparents for a Catholic Baptism even if they had been baptized? If so, what can a family do to resolve this if the Baptism had already been done? 🤷
Or is this something not to worry about?
From the 1983 CIC (emphasis added)
Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;
2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;
**3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
**
4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
One question that comes to mind is, how did people who were non-practicing Catholics get to be godparents in the first place? In any case, though, since it was done in violation of Canon Law, they are not godparents at all, but merely witnesses.
 
Is there anything wrong with having 2 non-Catholics as godparents for a Catholic Baptism even if they had been baptized? If so, what can a family do to resolve this if the Baptism had already been done? 🤷
Or is this something not to worry about?
Are you saying that at the time of the Baptism the Godparents were Catholics in good standing with the Church and then fell away, or that they were never Catholic to begin with (baptised in some other church/community)? If the former, then you cannot change anything but you can ask others who are still Catholic to help with the formation of the child. If the latter, you need to speak with your priest, because the sacrament guidelines call for a Catholic Godparent to be a witness to the Baptism.
 
Is there anything wrong with having 2 non-Catholics as godparents for a Catholic Baptism even if they had been baptized? If so, what can a family do to resolve this if the Baptism had already been done? 🤷
Or is this something not to worry about?
If the baptism is already complete, then I’d say that while the baptism was valid (must not be re-accomplished), but it was not licit (not accomplished according to ecclesial law). If they didn’t (or don’t) meet the requirements of a godparent, they aren’t. Yet, a valid baptism does not require a godparent. A valid baptism require valid form, matter and intent. The form = the formula, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” The matter = water, either by immersion, pouring or sprinkling. The intent = the minister intends what the Church intends.
 
Thank you all for your feedback. It has been something that had bothered me for a while. The candidates we wanted as godparents weren’t Catholic, but they were very close in their relationship with God and I felt although they didn’t have Catholic upbringing, they would at least give encouragement to my child for enriching his faith, in which by the way my wife and I are raising to be Catholic.

The baptism was in valid form.

I’d like to discuss it with my priest, but he was the one who gave the baptism and I feel bad having to go up to him to pretty much say, “Hey, we lied to you about our godparents by the way.” But I guess I should really just talk to him about it anyways right?

The bottom line was mainly if I should I go to confession or is this really not a serious matter?
 
UPDATE
The godmother was baptized in the Catholic Church and received only that sacrament. The godfather was baptized, but we didn’t have documentation and he wasn’t sure if he was baptized in the Catholic Church or not.
 
The bottom line was mainly if I should I go to confession or is this really not a serious matter?
I don’t think it’s a matter for confession. You didn’t know.

I do think you should talk to your priest about the situation though.
 
Thank you all for your feedback. It has been something that had bothered me for a while. The candidates we wanted as godparents weren’t Catholic, but they were very close in their relationship with God and I felt although they didn’t have Catholic upbringing, they would at least give encouragement to my child for enriching his faith, in which by the way my wife and I are raising to be Catholic.

The baptism was in valid form.

I’d like to discuss it with my priest, but he was the one who gave the baptism and I feel bad having to go up to him to pretty much say, “Hey, we lied to you about our godparents by the way.” But I guess I should really just talk to him about it anyways right?

The bottom line was mainly if I should I go to confession or is this really not a serious matter?
If you just didn’t know the canonical requirements, then that is different from a lie. However, if you told the priest they were confirmed Catholics but they were in fact baptized members of a non-Catholic ecclesial community, then that’s something I’d address in confession.

In any case, I would discuss it with the priest. I should think he would modify his prep for the sacraments. At my parish, we make it clear what the requirements are for becoming a godparent before they are appointed. In fact, we have forms to fill out which the canidate (or parent) and godparents sign saying they understand their responsibilities and affirm they meet the requirements.
 
Thanks again, it seems I got some weight off my shoulders, but I will definitely speak with the priest to make sure all is good.

God bless you all.

This website is awesome!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top