Is it wrong to watch the news on Sunday?

• Thread starter Thread starter imo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imo

Hello.

So, is it wrong to watch or read online the news on Sunday, mainly live news on TV or published on Sunday news online since it would indirectly require someone to work in Sunday?

I mean, with all this coronavirus thing is kind of important to follow the local updates daily I think.

What do you think?

No, it is not wrong.

On a practical note, I don’t think it’s helpful, either. It only serves to increase worry, and you don’t need to know on the same day the news story comes out. Whether there are 2 cases in your state or 2002, the same precautions apply at this point.

Thank you! Why people can’t just give their opinion clearly and respectfully like you?

If not for making someone wprk, then for not sanctifying the day. Very, very little of the news people watch is worth watching or knowing about. For instance in all the coronavirus outbreak you only needed to practically know 1) it exists 2) do actions to flatten the curve 3) details of local measures to do that so you know what to cancel and where you can’t go (masses closed, needless stores closed, etc). The rest is worthless talking points. If you feel the need to abstain, then God may want more of you to Himself. Don’t watch it.

Perhaps a useful question to ask would be whether under the old Code of Canon Law, before the Council, before everyone had televisions, and when the “servile work “ rule was commonly understood - whether Catholics were forbidden to listen to the radio on Sundays. I suspect not. I was born in the 1940’s and certainly was never taught that radio or TV on Sundays was a moral problem.

Given your posting history, it’s a fair assumption that you are scrupulous. You post threads with some frequency asking if fairly normal, routine things are sins. This shows a need for greater formation of conscience. No one is calling you crazy, it’s just being pointed out to you that it’s counterproductive to continue asking these questions online, since it will only serve to drive the compulsions.

Seek help offline. Others would be well advised not to continue posting.

You are in my prayers.
-Fr ACEGC

Others would be well advised not to continue posting.
Apologies, I saw this only after replying. The OP claims not to be scrupulous, but I guess scrupulous people may struggle to realize that they are scrupulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back