Is Jesus the only way?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oumashta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oumashta

Guest
I’m confused about something:p I’ve heard many protestants accuse Catholics of not believing Jesus is the only way. I know that protestants can sometimes make the Church look like something it’s not (Like the “whore of Babylon”). What is the Catholic position on salvation? Can one that does not believe in Jesus be saved? Can one the rejects Christ but is a good person be saved? What about one the believes in Jesus but is a terrible person?

I just have 2 more questions. Can a protestant receive the benefits of the Scapular? (such as a protestant friend or relative) Can I take off the Scapular when I shower?

Thanks all for your help:)

God bless.
 
I’m confused about something:p I’ve heard many protestants accuse Catholics of not believing Jesus is the only way. I know that protestants can sometimes make the Church look like something it’s not (Like the “whore of Babylon”). What is the Catholic position on salvation? Can one that does not believe in Jesus be saved? Can one the rejects Christ but is a good person be saved? What about one the believes in Jesus but is a terrible person?

I just have 2 more questions. Can a protestant receive the benefits of the Scapular? (such as a protestant friend or relative) Can I take off the Scapular when I shower?

Thanks all for your help:)

God bless.
It is* Jesus Christ *who is the Way the Truth and the Life. It is in him and by him that one is saved.

And no one is saved except by him. And it will also be in relation with his body the Church.

“There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

But he can save someone who does not explicitly know him…or his Church.

As the Document from Vatican II Lumen Gentium states:

Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.

It is not their deeds though that save them…it is Jesus… but he does not hold them accountable for what is not their fault… and to this I would add that some do not know him or his Church due to faulty presentations etc of them…

and as the Catechism notes:

*848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338 *

a to your other questions…

If a person really truly and knowingly rejects Christ he rejects God and salvation…but grace can still reach him before he dies…and thus Jesus can save him…

and again God judges him according to his lights…for that person may have had a bad presentation of Christ and his Gospel or there can be other things that interfered that were not his fault etc… so again we can have hope and we know that Jesus truly knows each of us…

As to the terrible person who believes and is Catholic…if he commits a mortal sin and dies in that state without being reconciled with God…then he has given up his salvation…God loves us and seeks us etc…gives us grace…but he will not force a person to be with him…

as to the scapular…yes anyone may wear a scapular … and Mary loves us all…and seeks to help us all find and follow Christ…the scapular needs to be understood as one sign of devotion to her…and of course not in any superstitious way…and yes one may take it on and off…shower etc…no worries.

it is very late …or early…i am only up due to my infant son waking me up and keeping me up…so my answers may not be the best here…for I am very tired 🙂

But bottom line: we propose Christ to all…for he is our life…our hope…our salvation…the way to the Father…he is the only way.

But this does not mean that he cannot save those who appear to reject him but really do not…in the end or who do not know him through not fault of their own…his grace can work in ways we do not see…

But anyone who is saved --it is still Jesus who saves them…even if they do not know it explicitly…here on earth…

hope this helps…now i have to try to go back to bed…
 
It is* Jesus Christ *who is the Way the Truth and the Life. It is in him and by him that one is saved.

And no one is saved except by him. And it will also be in relation with his body the Church.

“There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

But he can save someone who does not explicitly know him…or his Church.

As the Document from Vatican II Lumen Gentium states:

Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.

It is not their deeds though that save them…it is Jesus… but he does not hold them accountable for what is not their fault… and to this I would add that some do not know him or his Church due to faulty presentations etc of them…

and as the Catechism notes:

*848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338 *

a to your other questions…

If a person really truly and knowingly rejects Christ he rejects God and salvation…but grace can still reach him before he dies…and thus Jesus can save him…

and again God judges him according to his lights…for that person may have had a bad presentation of Christ and his Gospel or there can be other things that interfered that were not his fault etc… so again we can have hope and we know that Jesus truly knows each of us…

As to the terrible person who believes and is Catholic…if he commits a mortal sin and dies in that state without being reconciled with God…then he has given up his salvation…God loves us and seeks us etc…gives us grace…but he will not force a person to be with him…

as to the scapular…yes anyone may wear a scapular … and Mary loves us all…and seeks to help us all find and follow Christ…the scapular needs to be understood as one sign of devotion to her…and of course not in any superstitious way…and yes one may take it on and off…shower etc…no worries.

it is very late …or early…i am only up due to my infant son waking me up and keeping me up…so my answers may not be the best here…for I am very tired 🙂

But bottom line: we propose Christ to all…for he is our life…our hope…our salvation…the way to the Father…he is the only way.

But this does not mean that he cannot save those who appear to reject him but really do not…in the end or who do not know him through not fault of their own…his grace can work in ways we do not see…

But anyone who is saved --it is still Jesus who saves them…even if they do not know it explicitly…here on earth…

hope this helps…now i have to try to go back to bed…
Oh!.. Now I get it:D Thank you! What about judging one’s state of being? I always hear protestants say “Oh, he died so early without knowing Jesus, too bad he’s in hell” or “I’m sad my grandma died, but I know she’s in heaven”

Oh, but can protestants still receive the benefits of the scapular? Such as her protection. What if someone wears it just because its cool looking and not because they have a Marian devotion?
 
What about judging one’s state of being? I always hear protestants say “Oh, he died so early without knowing Jesus, too bad he’s in hell” or “I’m sad my grandma died, but I know she’s in heaven”
Catholics believe that we cannot know for certain that any specific person is in Hell - because we cannot know what interaction God may have had with their souls. For the most part we do not define who is in Heaven, either - only the few canonized Saints are defined as being in Heaven - but we know that there are countless others, which is why we celebrate “the Feast of All Saints.” And we know that Jesus promised salvation to those who accept His grace and obey His commands - so in reality we generally can have confidence that grandma is heaven - although again, we can’t “know” because only God knows the state of her soul.
Oh, but can protestants still receive the benefits of the scapular? Such as her protection. What if someone wears it just because its cool looking and not because they have a Marian devotion?
It’s really important to understand than any and all devotionals are not magic - they are aids to our faith. The benefits of the scapular are graces of God, which we are able to receive in faith. So no, just putting on some object because it “looks cool” does not in itself provide some “benefit.” This is not because of the person’s denomination or religion, it’s because of their heart.

BUT - God can work in mysterious ways, and it is entirely possible that someone could be attracted to a “cool-looking” devotional and then gradually develop a faith-understanding of the grace it represents. It is not God’s will that any of His creatures should perish, and His blessed Mother desires each of us to “do what He says,” as she told the servants at the wedding at Cana.
 
I’m confused about something:p I’ve heard many protestants accuse Catholics of not believing Jesus is the only way. I know that protestants can sometimes make the Church look like something it’s not (Like the “whore of Babylon”). What is the Catholic position on salvation? Can one that does not believe in Jesus be saved? Can one the rejects Christ but is a good person be saved? What about one the believes in Jesus but is a terrible person?

I just have 2 more questions. Can a protestant receive the benefits of the Scapular? (such as a protestant friend or relative) Can I take off the Scapular when I shower?

Thanks all for your help:)

God bless.
Anyone who REJECTS Christ condemns themselves to Hell if they die in that state unrepentent no matter what good works, kindnesses etc they have done during their lives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top