Is Joan Osborne Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter colliric
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

colliric

Guest
I think she is a wonderful singer, and has sung more than just one song worthy of recognition.

This question comes about because obviously the song “what if god was one of us”,

I find this song is quite trashed a bit by some protestants who claim it isn’t pro-christian and may be quite sarcastic in a sense, something I don’t think is right.

Yet the song is very much accepted as pro-christian by the secular realm and Catholics. I am wondering if this discrepancy comes about because the song, amongst other things, expresses a throughly Catholic point of view through “Nobody callin’ on the phone… 'cept maby the Pope back in Rome…” which of cause insinuates that the Pope(back then John Paul 2) would be the only person who could recognize the real god.

So is Osbone a Catholic? because I would find it quite odd if she wrote this lyric and isn’t a follower of Rome. I ask because someone told me she was an Agnostic and a lapsed catholic but also a Pro-Catholic.
 
While I like some of her music, I know that she, like some other of my favorite female vocalists of the 90’s: Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, and Sophie B. Hawkins, is an advocate against the unborn and is pro abortion on demand.
 
While I like some of her music, I know that she, like some other of my favorite female vocalists of the 90’s: Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, and Sophie B. Hawkins, is an advocate against the unborn and is pro abortion on demand.
Thats interesting. I also heard she was bi-sexual. odd really considering her song has probably become one of the most popular pieces of “pro-christian music” of the 90s.

I hope one day the effect of her inspiring lyrics one day brings her back… because there is no doubt the effect of it is overwhelmingly positive for people of faith, especially Catholic faith.

I’ve always wondered if the “nobody callin on the phone” line is a subtile attack on schismatic protestants and the prosperity gospel, followed by “'cept the pope in rome” a clear Pro-catholic message. She paints god, if he was one of us, as being like the homeless stranger we see on the street she asks if we would recognize him and help him and be his friend, of he was a homeless stranger or a “slob like one of us” or passenger on a bus. In other words she asks, if God put himself in the role of the robbed hurt stranger man lying on the road, would we be the good Samaritan answering his call? and she clearly states “the pope would”.

A strong and poignant message, about if we see God, would we recognize him as only the Pope perhaps would be the person who could.

What the song is really asking is if Jesus, hypothetically instead of having come in 1AD, if he came today which was 1996AD when the song was written, would he go “back up to heaven all alone”, I.e Be crucified and carry the burden for the entire human race again, or Would we the modern world realise who he is and not execute him.
 
This question comes about because obviously the song “what if god was one of us”
Is that the song that was the theme song to “Joan of Arcadia” that Catholic show that used to be on but was taken off the air? I can imagine that it was taken off the air because it was Catholic. I used to watch “7th Heaven” (protestant) but stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th season because the kids were not very “Christian-like” and that stayed on the air for a much longer time. I couldn’t stand the youngest girl on that “7th Heaven” show, :rolleyes: she thought she was “holier than thou,” and too much of a “brat” in my opinion.
 
Is that the song that was the theme song to “Joan of Arcadia” that Catholic show that used to be on but was taken off the air? I can imagine that it was taken off the air because it was Catholic. I used to watch “7th Heaven” (protestant) but stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th season because the kids were not very “Christian-like” and that stayed on the air for a much longer time. I couldn’t stand the youngest girl on that “7th Heaven” show, :rolleyes: she thought she was “holier than thou,” and too much of a “brat” in my opinion.
yep. It was a huge hit in 1996. Apparently the show’s version was a re-recording by Joan to speed it up a bit and fit the whole song into a few minutes and with the right beats for the credits. The original is done at a more leasurly pace.
 
Here is a link to a great rendition of her song St. Teresa.

homepage.mac.com/mooncusser/iMovieTheater50.html

Love that song…my confirmation name is Teresa 😃
Rayne, my friend, I too love that entire album. Her voice is quite special. I’m not sure I’m comfortable w/ the lyrics of the man in the long black coat but I just love how it sounds. However, I’m not sure that song is complementary to St. Theresa. I’ve been told that “St. Theresa” is a symbol for a hallucinegenic drug (probably mushrooms found in the hollow) and her closing reference to the rosary is that it is a placebo or short-lived bromide similar to the high she gets from the mushrooms. Remember the phrase when she comes down she says is there something you forgot to tell me refers to the post-high depression.
 
I recall hearing that at the time the song was written, she was a non-observant Jew, but I have been known to be wrong.

As per the question posed by the song, “What if God was one of us,” the answer is… it happened, in the person of Jesus Christ, the Word made Flesh. You can read about it in the gospels.
 
I recall hearing that at the time the song was written, she was a non-observant Jew, but I have been known to be wrong.

As per the question posed by the song, “What if God was one of us,” the answer is… it happened, in the person of Jesus Christ, the Word made Flesh. You can read about it in the gospels.
No, she’s a lapsed catholic. And the song title is a hypothetical question, it asks us if Christ came in our time, would the same thing happen?
 
I read an interview with her once, where she said that she had read the history of the Catholic Church, and was turned off by it, and then became practicing Buddhist.

We should pray for her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top