Is missing Sunday mass a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter ekblad7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ekblad7

I know it is but I can’t find it in the Catachism. My mom is attending an RCIA class to learn more about the faith. The Deacon said last night that missing mass is not a mortal sin and you don’t need to go to confession before receiving communion again. He said my mom was old fashioned and pre-vatican II.

Thanks and God Bless!

Missing Sunday Mass is a grave matter, but full knowledge and full and free consent must also be present for the commission of a mortal sin. The deacon your mother spoke to is incorrect.

From the CCC (emphasis added):

2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass.” “The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day.”

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

2182 Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
mlchance:
Missing Sunday Mass is a grave matter, but full knowledge and full and free consent must also be present for the commission of a mortal sin. The deacon your mother spoke to is incorrect.
One other point, the deacon was not just wrong, he mean to intentionally deceive your mother, there is no way he got through his required training without learning this. She needs to be very careful of everything he tells her, I am sure this isn’t the only thing he will lie about.

Old fashioned?
Pre-Vatican II?

Those are RED FLAGS to me. At the least, if he was knowledgable enough to “know” missing Mass wasn’t a sin, he would have given her some sort of documentation to prove it. You know, according to the Catechism it says that missing Mass isn’t a sin. Or, according to the church teaching which we studied in our textbook here. . .Or, according to what I was taught at so-and-so seminary. . . Oh wait, that documentation doesn’t EXIST, because his so-called knowledge is .

But simply to say, “you’re wrong about that idea”, along with a gratuitous insult of being somehow not only wrong but STUPID, without providing anything other than “because I say so?”

How arrogant. Even if the man is responding with personal sincerity to what he , he is still responsible for making SURE. If there’s a question, a responsible teacher doesn’t just go with, “well, I believe this”, or “I think this”–he or she LOOKS IT UP and makes sure that everybody understands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back