Is my mortal sin absolved

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous212
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous212

I went to confession, and said a few mortal sins, but did not mention the number of times I committed one of the sins. I then received the Eucharist the next day. is my confession valid? Should I have not received the Eucharist? Is just that one sin not absolved? Are all of the sins absolved?

If the priest absolved you, you were absolved. If he wanted to know specifics, he would have asked you for further detail. Be at peace.

Ok, I have read that if you do not say the number of times you committed a mortal sin, it is not absolved, and the confession is invalid. The way I phrased the one sin made it seem like I only did it once, even though I had done it multiple.

Last edited:
You “read something.” So, why do you think the priest absolved you then? Do you really think the priest doesn’t know how to do his job?

I am wondering if my confession is invalid because I was not truly honest about the number of times I did the sin.

Go back to your priest and ask him. That is easier then attempting to get us to guess the state of your soul. We could very well be wrong, or we could be right.

Did you intentionally try to make it sound like you committed this sin less, or was it an accident that you realized after the fact?

Last edited:
I don’t really remember, I know that I could have said the number of times I did it, but I did not, I don’t remember the reason why though.

Ok, I have read that if you do not say the number of times you committed a mortal sin, it is not absolved, and the confession is invalid. The way I phrased the one sin made it seem like I only did it once, even though I had done it multiple.
As long as it was forgotten it was not intended to omit is – and numbers can be easily forgotten – so then the rule to apply is to say the number next time (provided you still remember it) although it was already absolved.

Ok, but the number was not forgotten, I just didn’t say it, for reason I don’t remember

Ok, but the number was not forgotten, I just didn’t say it, for reason I don’t remember
Forgotten or not, it would only be invalid if it was intentionally not mentioned. If a venial is omitted it is fine since venial sins are not required to be said in totality.

How about this, I wish I said it, but I didn’t because I was nervous or something.

Please Speak To Your Priest.

Your responses sound like you have a possible scrupulosity issue.
It is not helpful for you to keep posting these questions here.

It wouldn’t hurt to go talk to the priest, he could help you clarify the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back