Is nearly committing a mortal sin, still a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter B777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B777

Hi all,

I have this question stuck on my head for a long time. Is nearly committing a mortal sin, still a mortal sin?

For example, when you get mad and you wanted to hit your brother, you lifted up your arm but you stop and pray to god. Or if you were wanting to destroy your neighbour’s goods, because of envy, you walk up to their house, but then you turn to god and stopped.

I’m not really sure because you did not actually committed the sin yet, and nobody got effected. Is the gravity going to be lower?

Please help.

Last edited:
I don’t think those are mortal sins. Have you ever heard of scrupulosity? There’s a great book called Understanding Scrupulosity by Fr Thomas Santa.

Oh sorry, I just wanted to bring up some examples, I changed it already to graver ones.

I think the answer is in the question: “almost” means you didn’t.

It depends. I think Jesus was clear when he spoke of looking at a person with lust as committing adultery, or hatred in your heart for your brother or fellow man. So yes, we can sin by entertaining the evil but not acting on it. They key is to not entertain it

I think what you listed are all near occasions of sin. We are to avoid whatever leads us to sin but, we will always find situations in where we are tempted to sin.

A good practice would be forming your conscience so that you are aware of when you are in a near occasion of sin and how to handle it.

What you have described is the resistance of sin and it is a way to grow in virtue.

Temptation → Partial Consent (slight sin) → Evil Desire with Enjoyment (interior sin) → Commission (Exterior sin)

Bishop of Krishnagar Louis LaRavoire Marrow, My Catholic Faith - A Manual of Religion pp. 50-51, Copyright, 1949, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963 by Louis LaRavoire Morrow
  1. Sin is not committed without temptation. First an evil thought comes into the mind. This in itself is not sinful; it is only a temptation.
  • A man may be in a jewelry store looking at some jewels. The salesman turns away to talk to someone else, leaving a precious diamond ring on the counter. The thought enters the man’s mind that it would be easy for him to take the ring and walk away unnoticed. This is temptation, not sin.
  1. If we do not immediately reject the thought, it awakens in the mind an affection or liking for it.
  • If the man in the above example does not resist and reject the thought, but plays with it, and
    becomes pleased with the idea, he thereby gives partial consent, and commits a slight sin.
  1. Next the thought is followed by an evil desire in which we take pleasure.
  • If, still playing with the thought, the man wishes that he could take the diamond ring without being noticed, the consent is complete, and he commits a sin in his heart (interiorly).
  1. The resolution to commit the sin when occasion presents itself follows. Then the exterior act is committed.
  • Finally, the man glances to see if the salesman is still busy. Then he takes the ring and walks away with it. Thus the wish or desire has been translated into an exterior act. Even should the man be prevented from stealing, he is guilty of grave sin.
An exterior sin is more evil than an interior sin, because it is attended by worse consequences.
An exterior sin often causes scandal, and is therefore more severely punished by God here on earth as well as after death.
Drunkenness reduces the drunkard and his family to poverty and sickness. Impurity destroys the body, sometimes producing insanity. Murder often leads the culprit to the electric chair.
And worse, an exterior sin increases the malice of the will, and destroys the sense of shame. The repetition of exterior sins forms the habit of sinning, and vice is formed. The conscience goes to sleep, and the sinner becomes so hardened that he no longer sees the evil and wickedness of his sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back