Is pipe smoking a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MCH2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the Church confer an indulgence for giving up a sin for only one day? (Could it confer an indulgence for a party not detached from sin??)

cf. the ultimate paragraph Incarnationis Mysterium
 
I realise that to some extent everything in life has risks - yes, red meat, bacon etc, but smoking is so easily within our control and yet something we choose which is so dangerous for others. That’s the bit I have a problem with Even smoke on clothing can affect newborns… I realise I’m in the minority here so I’m going to mute the thread but I’ve had my say. I am not getting at anyone personally but it upsets me greatly given what we now know about the effects on ourselves and others.
 
40.png
edward_george1:
On what basis? How is it a venial sin?
Father, I didn’t say that it was.

I said “God MIGHT consider it venial.”

I didn’t say God DOES consider it venial. Perhaps it is venial because it serves no purpose in our health and has many negative health risks that we are aware of? Or perhaps it isn’t?

Again, didn’t say it was a sin. Just acknowledging that it MIGHT be a venial one because smoking hurts our bodies.

God Bless
So what is the purpose of your post then? Someone asks if something is a sin and your answer is that it might be a sin but it might not be a sin. This is not helpful to scrupulous people that are reading on CAF. Your opinion that God might consider it a sin doesn’t help. It is your opinion. Please read post 36.

We all know smoking is unhealthy, but in moderation it is not a sin.
People seem to be confusing something being unhealthy and something being sinful.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top