Is playing voilent video game ok

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesus4ever
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jesus4ever

Guest
i like playing battle feild online. Your playing against other people online.
Pretty much shooting them down. but if you get shot you restart the game in another area away from where you got shot. the aim is for the team you are in to win and take over an area where the flag is located.

i am wondering if playing voilent video games is ok. or is it sinful. to me its only a bit of fun.
 
It is *not *sinful, objectively speaking.

There are two ways it may become subjectively sinful:

(a) If you spend so much time doing so that you neglect your obligations and work in life. Obviously, this sin would be laziness; it has nothing to do with the violence.

(b) If one were to use the virtual killing to inflame or satisfy one’s anger, i.e. fantasies of revenge, etc.

If one plays just for fun, and in moderation (as with all things), then no, it’s not problematic at all. The violence is just imaginary.
 
Thanks for answering this,this has been bugging me for awhile.👍
 
I’ve said it before in other posts, I’ve been playing violent video games my whole life. I don’t let it compromise my faith. Just because I’ll slaughter innocent people in GTA and think nothing of it, doesn’t mean I won’t help someone in need in RL. I think once you reach a certain maturity then games are fine. Some people, especially younger teenagers, can be swayed by what they experience and it can be bad. But this is quite rare.
 
Whose moral and ethical opinion on this issue is most important… authoritative?..mine?..yours?..other commentators? Your answer to this question is fundamental…just who should you listen to to form your conscience?..your opinion?..your actions? I’ll “put my money” on the guy dressed in white:
Pope decries video games, films that exalt violence, trivialize sexuality
1/25/2007
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
VATICAN CITY (Catholic Online) –** Video games, animated films and other media that exalt violence** and trivialize sexuality is** a perversion**, especially when directed at young people, said Pope Benedict XVI.
“Any trend to produce programs and products – including animated films and video games – which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behavior or the trivialization of human sexuality is a perversion, all the more repulsive when these programs are directed at children and adolescents,” Pope Benedict said.
catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=22807
Psalm 73:7** (NIV1984)**
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity[a];
the** evil conceits of their minds know no limits**.
My take: as an adult…I see nothing in it for me to gain anything of value…I don’t need it for any reason…I don’t like “sipping cool aide”…when I am not smart enough to know what is in it or what effect it may have on me in the short…or…long run. As a society…we are clearly “sipping cool aide”…and hoping Jim Jones is not the “bartender”…the common good is not being considered in the slightest way. As far as our youth’s open access to this type violence…its a criminal conspiracy…IMHO. It all smacks of being very wrong-headed…at best and very warped…at worst…in three ways: vicariousness… voyeurism… euphemisms.

Lastly, we (most all Catholics) always say…we are sinners…I am a sinner. But we just don’t think that certain evils lurk in our souls…hearts and minds…because we are faithful Catholics…I would suggest the we not forget about a guy named Judas…especially me.
**
The true Christian’s nostril is to be continually attentive to the inner cesspool.
No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
C.S. Lewis**
Pax Christi
 
I agree with Pope Benedict XVI.

Today’s graphic sex and violence games, movies, music are CONDITIONING society to accept a more evil, less Godly culture.

If you want to build a Godless society, simply add your personal brick.
 
Whose moral and ethical opinion on this issue is most important… authoritative?..mine?..yours?..other commentators? Your answer to this question is fundamental…just who should you listen to to form your conscience?..your opinion?..your actions? I’ll “put my money” on the guy dressed in white:

My take: as an adult…I see nothing in it for me to gain anything of value…I don’t need it for any reason…I don’t like “sipping cool aide”…when I am not smart enough to know what is in it or what effect it may have on me in the short…or…long run. As a society…we are clearly “sipping cool aide”…and hoping Jim Jones is not the “bartender”…the common good is not being considered in the slightest way. As far as our youth’s open access to this type violence…its a criminal conspiracy…IMHO. It all smacks of being very wrong-headed…at best and very warped…at worst…in three ways: vicariousness… voyeurism… euphemisms.

Lastly, we (most all Catholics) always say…we are sinners…I am a sinner. But we just don’t think that certain evils lurk in our souls…hearts and minds…because we are faithful Catholics…I would suggest the we not forget about a guy named Judas…especially me.

Pax Christi
Not all games that involve violence glorify or exalt it. You have to understand that, or you’ll be ill-qualified to speak on the matter, or even to quote His Holiness concerning it.
I agree with Pope Benedict XVI.

Today’s graphic sex and violence games, movies, music are CONDITIONING society to accept a more evil, less Godly culture.

If you want to build a Godless society, simply add your personal brick.
I don’t disagree in principle, but make sure you remember that portraying a thing and exalting it are different things. They’re different in literature (Dostoyevsky or Flannery O’Connor, anyone?), they’re different in film, and they’re different in more interactive media like video games.
 
Not all games that involve violence glorify or exalt it. You have to understand that, or you’ll be ill-qualified to speak on the matter, or even to quote His Holiness concerning it.

I don’t disagree in principle, but make sure you remember that portraying a thing and exalting it are different things. They’re different in literature (Dostoyevsky or Flannery O’Connor, anyone?), they’re different in film, and they’re different in more interactive media like video games.
I must disagree. The old “not all” argument is too elastic. If 10% of the games do not glorify or exalt WANTON violence, does that justify the sale and use of the 90% that do? When one tires of the so callled “acceptable” wanton violence games, what are the odds he will move on to the truly harmful games? And what if one is a poorly reared teenager with little in moral backbone to withhstand the allure of harmful games? We do tend to become what we consume. More time spent doing the stupid thing is less time available to do the smart thing. Maybe many can withstand it, but some will not. We do them a disservice by saying it is OK.

I also find it hard to see how anyone is ill-qualified to quote the Pope especially when the quote is on point. Of course anyone free to ignore the Pope, especially if he can show how his moral development is so much better than the Pope’s.

Common decency tells us there are some things that should not be “portrayed” even when it is clear the portrayal is not meant to exalt. Portraying dismembering bodies and large splashes of blood, even in comic simulation, is obscene and immoral.

And I suggest there is a major difference in written descriptions and visual movies and INTERACTIVE games where one gets comfortable in being THE CAUSE of wanton violence. Even the astronauts who flew to the moon first practiced many times in simulation before they did the real thing.

I repeat, such wanton violence is meant to condition us to accept a more violent, Godless world. Everything we do either brings us closer to God or further away from Him. To think otherwise is naive, IMO.
 
I must disagree. The old “not all” argument is too elastic. If 10% of the games do not glorify or exalt WANTON violence, does that justify the sale and use of the 90% that do?
Where are the statistics on this? Also, if people are incapable of differentiating between reality and fantasy, then they have deeper issues than video game selection.
When one tires of the so callled “acceptable” wanton violence games, what are the odds he will move on to the truly harmful games?
They are not objectively sinful; they are subjectively sinful for those who are placed in a near occasion of sin by playing them. For some, the odds will be zero. For others, high. But that is a decision they will have to make. Should we ban all alcohol simply because some abuse it?
Common decency tells us there are some things that should not be “portrayed” even when it is clear the portrayal is not meant to exalt. Portraying dismembering bodies and large splashes of blood, even in comic simulation, is obscene and immoral.
This is where your lack of qualification comes you. You are incapable of imagining a situation in which dismemberment and blood are not “obscene and immoral,” and so any game with those things is invariably bad. Why exactly should I accept this line of reasoning?
 
I must disagree. The old “not all” argument is too elastic. If 10% of the games do not glorify or exalt WANTON violence, does that justify the sale and use of the 90% that do?
The topic is not the sale of such games. The OP asked if playing a video game whose characters - often the player character, too - commit acts of violence is sinful.

We presume far too much to claim that playing such games probably leads people to sinful thoughts and behaviors.
When one tires of the so callled “acceptable” wanton violence games, what are the odds he will move on to the truly harmful games?
As I said, and as you should realize, it’s not the portrayal that’s immoral. If someone playing such a game is sinning, it’s because he or she is doing so with sinful thoughts and intentions.

So this distinction you’ve drawn between “acceptable” violence in games and “truly harmful” games is a false one. The objective act of playing the violent game is not sinful; it’s the subjective component of the act that may be.
And what if one is a poorly reared teenager with little in moral backbone to withhstand the allure of harmful games?
Then he should avoid them, of course.
We do tend to become what we consume. More time spent doing the stupid thing is less time available to do the smart thing. Maybe many can withstand it, but some will not. We do them a disservice by saying it is OK.
I didn’t say it was “OK.” I said it’s not objectively sinful, and that each person should carefully ensure that how they spend their time leads them to holiness rather than away from it.
I also find it hard to see how anyone is ill-qualified to quote the Pope especially when the quote is on point. Of course anyone free to ignore the Pope, especially if he can show how his moral development is so much better than the Pope’s.
Moral development is not the only relevant factor. I daresay many have more experience with video games than Pope Benedict XVI.

He’s wise enough to state the principle itself: exalting violence, etc. is bad.

Others are foolish enough to apply them to video games in a generalized manner.
Common decency tells us there are some things that should not be “portrayed” even when it is clear the portrayal is not meant to exalt. Portraying dismembering bodies and large splashes of blood, even in comic simulation, is obscene and immoral.
Tasteless, yes. Obscene, yes. Immoral? No.
And I suggest there is a major difference in written descriptions and visual movies and INTERACTIVE games where one gets comfortable in being THE CAUSE of wanton violence. Even the astronauts who flew to the moon first practiced many times in simulation before they did the real thing.
Not a bad point, although the fact that these games are imaginary cannot be overstated.
I repeat, such wanton violence is meant to condition us to accept a more violent, Godless world.
No, it’s not. It’s meant to make money for the makers of the games. And as I agreed, a lot of it is quite tasteless.

The answer to the OP’s question, however, remains the same: playing video games that contain violence is not objectively immoral.
Everything we do either brings us closer to God or further away from Him. To think otherwise is naive, IMO.
Indeed.
 
i like playing battle feild online. Your playing against other people online.
Pretty much shooting them down. but if you get shot you restart the game in another area away from where you got shot. the aim is for the team you are in to win and take over an area where the flag is located.

i am wondering if playing voilent video games is ok. or is it sinful. to me its only a bit of fun.
You’re playing “Modern Combat” aren’t you:D?
 
Well, I advise playing less violent video games such as MLB the Show. 😃
 
perverse
**1. **deviating from what is considered right or good; wrong, improper, etc. or corrupt, wicked, etc.; perverted

obscene
**1. **offensive to one’s feelings, or to prevailing notions, of modesty or decency; lewd
**2. **disgusting; repulsive

immoral
1. not in conformity with accepted principles of right and wrong behavior


There is much in our society that is legal but still immoral. So legal is not a useful standard for sinful or not.

What may be judged perverse and obscene and therefore immoral and thus sinful to a greater or lesser degree is a judgment each person makes.

We have the God given right to use our Freedom as we wish. But God expects us to make good use of that Freedom. To make good use of our Freedom, we must develop a well formed conscience. The Church’s role is to help us form good consciences. What the Pope states is not be ignored or discounted on the presumed basis he does not have enough experience with video games. We should always keep in mind whether what we do conforms with God’s expectations or man’s morally unrestrained anything goes standard as long as it is legal.

Perhaps a useful test of whether a violent game is immoral is to demonstrate it to and seek approval from those one loves the best. Would those one loves the most be proud knowing that that is how you seek entertainment? Of course, as Christians, we do love God the most, right?

I cannot say that using such games is a mortal sin in each instance, but it seems likely that it is at least a venial sin. I am certain that spending one’s money on such trash is adding a brick to the path toward a Godless society.
 
My son plays pretty graphic violent video games and enjoys them but mainly due to the fun of winning and the very realistic imagery, also cool soundtracks. However, he recently told me I shouldn’t kill spiders, I should put them out the window. He is a very caring, well mannered 9 year old and loves other children and animals. He knows that the video games are pretend and that in real life, its bad to hurt people in any way.
I have many times looked at the playstation and just wondered whether all these games like GTA should be thrown away, but then I look at my son and think well thats just his way of chilling out and being a normal kid, along with his swimming, soccer, toys etc. I personally dont agree with these games, but because I am trying to raise my son as a charitable Catholic, I dont want him to resent me and grow up angry for forcing him only to do “nice” things, if I’m making any sense at all here! As a parent, its often hard to know where to draw the line, and ultimately, you have to go with what feels best all round, weighing everything up. And I’m not talking about relativism or moderation, I’m talking about raising a child in a world full of worries 🤷
 
I used to love the “violent” war video games like Battlefield1942 or Medal of Honor or Call of Duty, because you’d get to fight the enemy…shoot the bad guy and the little character falls. No gore, just a fall.

Now it seems they are bent on making it as graphic and as disturbing as possible…why? Why can’t war be fun like it used to?

For the record I don’t play any of the new wargames. Games are meant to be fun…play for an hour and feel good you defeated the Nazis…now it seems after 30 mins of playing you have to check in at the clinic for PTSD…not paying $50 for that.
 
Short answer: It isn’t a sin, in my opinion.

Long answer: Whether you should play them depends on you. Some people can get addicted to it (in which case it would be a sin), some people can’t differentiate between the fake, virtual world and the real one after playing for a long time, and some become more violent. If any of these are true, you should stop. You have to be honest with yourself here or ask someone who will be honest with you.

But if you still think and do the right thing and remain close to God, then I don’t see how it is a problem.
 
Full disclosure: I’m a gamer, so I may be a bit biased here. However, I think I might be able to offer a unique perspective on gaming and gaming culture that those who are not familiar with them, but have only read about them secondhand, cannot. I’m also new to the Church, so I admit I still have a lot to learn. 🙂 Take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think the posters who say that games are not objectively sinful, but have the potential to be sinful for some, are onto something. The truth is that there is no evidence that games cause people to become more violent or more desensitized to violence, aside from isolated incidents like Columbine, which was more likely caused by the shooters’ pre-existing psychopathology.

To answer the question about Battlefield: kids, especially boys, have been acting out war games in imaginary play eons before video games were even a concept. I can’t imagine that too many parents in the 60s were that concerned that their sons were playing “battlefield” using capguns and toy swords in the backyard. I don’t think that actually seeing the violence on screen would that make that much of a difference (Battlefield doesn’t have a whole lot of gore, anyway). I think a bigger moral concern is some of the culture of the online community. Anyone who owns these games and a subscription to the service (Xbox Live or similar, depending on the platform they use) can play these games online with strangers, and the culture surrounding online gameplay isn’t exactly very edifying. A lot of people cheat using modded lobbies or hacked consoles (I think this is worse with Call of Duty than it is with Battlefield, though). People verbally abuse each other on the voice chat and messaging features. I’d be more concerned about stuff like this than I would be about the content of the actual game, especially when it comes to letting impressionable children play them. But if you are strong enough in your faith to resist temptation, avoid cheating, and always treat other gamers with respect, perhaps you could even be a “witness” to other people who play the game.

I think other games are a different story. I may be in the minority amongst gamers here, but I think that the ESRB ratings are usually there for a good reason. Most M (mature) rated games are M rated games not just because of gore, but because there is some other thematic content that children aren’t old enough to handle yet. For instance, I play a series of M rated games called Fallout, which depict a post-apocalyptic wasteland that is deeply scarred by the horrors of nuclear war. Lots of violence and lawlessness with frightening, disturbing content. I think it serves as a good warning of what could happen as a result of senseless, unjust war. I don’t believe it would be appropriate for a child, or even a young teenager, to play this kind of game because it might skew their view of the world if their moral compass isn’t well-developed. The series can, however, be suitable entertainment for adults who are well grounded in their morality, and sometimes it even sends a “good message.” In Fallout 3, the player character’s parents were scientists who, inspired by Revelation 21:6, made it their personal life mission to build an advanced water purifier to provide free, clean water to the people of the Wasteland, where clean water is scarce and most people only have irradiated, dirty water to drink. Without getting into too much detail or revealing any spoilers, the player can choose to be good or evil, and to save or sabotage the project, but it is clear that the parents are the good guys. The game glorifies selflessness and personal sacrifice and really berates and guilt trips you if you do anything evil. The other games in the series have more moral ambiguity, but your actions still have consequences. I actually don’t really know of that many games where evil is outright glorified, even if it is an option the player can choose, except perhaps the Grand Theft Auto series, which I haven’t played.

There’s also the psychologically addictive aspect of certain games that is pretty misunderstood. I would never touch the game World of Warcraft because I have a somewhat addictive personality and couldn’t trust myself not to get so sucked into it that it takes over my life. I know a man whose life was ruined by that game; he lost his job, marriage, and child, rarely pays his bills except for the internet bill and his WoW subscription, and barely even takes breaks to shower and sleep. It’s heartbreaking. But I know other people who play the game as a hobby and don’t let it take over their lives. Good for them, but that doesn’t mean everyone can or should.

I know people have said that there is a difference between violent movies and books and violent video games because the former are passive and the latter is active, but again, there are no controlled studies to back up the assertion that this makes even a bit of difference. Most people can distinguish fantasy from reality. In fact, I would argue that video games are a more productive way to spend your time than watching TV, because they stimulate your mind and can help with perception and critical thinking skills. Does this mean they cannot be potentially harmful? Of course not. If playing Battlefield is, in fact, desensitizing you to violence, negatively impacting you socially, or taking over your life so much that you rarely spend time doing anything else, then perhaps it might be mortally sinful for you and it’s time to put down the controller or keyboard and reassess your priorities. Otherwise, carry on, but constantly evaluate yourself and make sure games stay something positive for you, rather than something that hinders you spiritually, morally, or socially.
 
Well said, Therana from my home State.

You make a clear case for judicious use of video games and acknowledge that some are harmful while some games lead to a better end.

I continue to worry, that while most players are not negatively affected in a noticable way, there are the rare ones that go too far and commit real life violence. I wonder what my responsibility is, knowing that MY MONEY kept that industry growing, and as a result some innocent people die. I just feel I should not enable such risk just so I can play and resist temptation.

On a much smaller scale I also think, that while many claim they are not affected negatively, I would think that the more violent games do tend to make our society more course in subtle ways. As Christians, we are called to be Christ like. It is just too hard for me to envision JC sitting down to play violent games.
 
Violence is video games is not real, therefore it’s not sinful. It’s just a bunch of pixels simulating violence
 
I agree with Pope Benedict XVI.

Today’s graphic sex and violence games, movies, music are CONDITIONING society to accept a more evil, less Godly culture.

If you want to build a Godless society, simply add your personal brick.
I never realised that every time I enjoy a videogame I further the cause of atheism :rolleyes:

I have been digitally shooting out brains and cutting out intestines for at least since I was 10. Never ever had the desire to do it in real life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top