Is saying "Oh My God" a mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reclaimed
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a better habit to replace it with. Everytime you here someone else say it, repeat the phrase “Praise His name” in your head.
 
Teeliumtrozzle, if your mom is Irish, none of this applies. The Irish have a direct line and talk to God directly on a constant basis.

😃
 
Here’s a better habit to replace it with. Everytime you here someone else say it, repeat the phrase in your head.
An even better habit would be to say “Praise His name” out loud;)
That way those people who utter His name might begin to think on what your saying and change their habit.👍

I work with a fellow who is…born again, born again,…I think, but he continues to take the Lords name in vain. I never knew that our Lord dislikes certain brands of equipment and that sometimes Jesus is actually in the equipment:shrug: :eek:…imagine that. I always ask, ‘where’s Jesus’?

Scott
 
Just a couple quick questions. When other’s say it, are we obliged to tell them it’s a sin and to please stop?

Also, I have asked both priests at my parish if this was a mortal sin, (because I told my mother it was and she didn’t seem to convinced so I wanted them to sort of back me up) and they both shook their heads. When I tried to explain to them the context in which His name was being used, they just said no:confused:
 
Just a couple quick questions. When other’s say it, are we obliged to tell them it’s a sin and to please stop?

Also, I have asked both priests at my parish if this was a mortal sin, (because I told my mother it was and she didn’t seem to convinced so I wanted them to sort of back me up) and they both shook their heads. When I tried to explain to them the context in which His name was being used, they just said no:confused:
Trust your priests.

When others say it, your obligation to correct only comes into play when the person in question is someone over whom you have some kind of authority and/or if you expect your admonition to have the desired effect.

If you are with a group of friends and they are using the Lord’s name carelessly or maliciously, you can ask them to cut it out. If you are with adults, you should probably stay quiet. In either case, you can make a loving act of reparation to Our Lord. Personally, I take a couple of lines from the Divine Praises, silently saying, “Blessed be God. Blessed be His Holy Name.”

Betsy
 
I can relate, I was pretty bad for that too, but the last while I’ve tried hard to break it. So now mostly I say “Geez Louise” or “good golly”. Fortunately I don’t know anyone named Louise 😛

I like the idea of reciting the Divine Praises! 👍
I always thought that ‘Geez’ is just a variation of Jesus. I’m pretty sure that’s the root for it. I got very cross with people who say “Jesus Christ” or “For God’s sake!” in the place of cursing or swearing. I regularly tell people off at work and socially for doing it. I just explain it offends me and every time they say it afterwards I point it out. Nobody has given me a hard time for pointing it out, and in fact they usually apologise. To be honest I’d much rather hear someone curse using the ‘F’ word or similar than hear them use the name of God instead.

And on a linked point, I really, really hate it on TV shows when they use God’s name in an incorrect way. It happens a lot on American sitcoms. A good example is Firends, how many times do they say “Oh my God!” it really annoys me.
 
I realise this thread has been closed for a while, but I found this today and I think it affirms the sinfulness of it (something that I was personally questioning for a long time, along the lines of the mental intention of one who says it and the fact that in our society it’s not really considered blasphemy):

Sirach 23:9-10

“Do not accustom your mouth to oaths, nor habitually utter the name of the Holy One; for as a servant who is constantly under scrutiny will not lack bruises, so also the person who swears and utters the Name will never be cleansed from sin.”

You can make what you want of the last part, that sort of thing occurs all the time in Sirach.
 
I personally get offended when people use God’s name in any matter that is not out of respect. It was at one time unsaid to even say God’s name. I just think everyone has become lax in their respect for his name. Just my opinion though…
Even Father Benedict Groeschel says God’s name in this sort of a fashion. I remember he was talking about Nuns that were pro-choice. He said something like, “To think that there are Nuns and Sisters that promote abortion. My God!” Clenches heart with hand

There is a very big misconception with the Lord’s name in Vain issue. Many people saying it in such a way is a Mortal Sin no matter what, but this is not the case. It can be used in such a way with reverence, and with reason.
 
First of all,
“God” is NOT, NOT, NOT God’s “Name.”
There are many beings, idols, etc., which are called Gods.
The NAME of God is YHWH, the Tetragrammaton,
which is considered unutterable because of it’s sacredness.
Although we think it is pronounced Yahweh, even THAT is not 100% certain.
And taking the LORD’s (YHWH) name in vain is a lot more serious
than an unintentional outburst of surprise or shock.
It involves, among other things, calling God to witness to or be a part of,
stuff that is either evil or utterly unworthy of Him.

Still, the habitual use of “Oh my God!!” still calls to mind, at least in the (once-Christian) West, the God of the Jews and Christians. We should get out of the habit of saying it.
But a surprised outburst of Oh my God, does not qualify as mortal sin, which requires:
  1. that the matter involved be GRAVE.
  2. it must be done intentionally, deliberately, with full consent of the will.
    Very few people are deliberating when, out of surprise or shock,
    they exclaim “Oh my God!!” and in fact adore Our Lord.
    Still, we are too much in the habit of calling out the Deity when we are surprised.
    We really shouldn’t do it. It’s a bad habit, one that I am trying to break.
    I rarely do it anymore, and am displeased with myself when it does slip out occasionally.
    What is, to me, much more serious, is the public use, in anger or ridicule,
    of the name, “Jesus Christ!!!”, usually by unbelievers on a regular basis.
    This is the PROPER NAME of God Incarnate Himself and should never be used like that.
    The fact that it IS suggests to me the activity of diabolical forces.
    Am I over-reacting by suggesting the influence of the Devil in the abuse of the
    name of Jesus Christ? NO. I don’t think I am.
    Think about it.
    When people are angry, how often
    do they yell out, “MARTIN LUTHER KING!!!” as a curse or expression of anger??
    How often do they yell out “JIMMY CARTER!!!” as a curse or expression of anger??
    No, they yell out “JESUS CHRIST!!!” as a curse or expression of anger, and all the time.
    Even people whose religion doesn’t acknowledge Jesus yell out “JESUS CHRIST!!!”
    My Jewish boss used to say it. My non-religious gay co-workers used to use it all the time. And many other people I worked with or interacted with.
    THAT is sacrilegious. But is even THAT necessarily always a mortal sin?
    I don’t think so, because very few people deliberate at ALL before they say it.
    But I still say that it is demonic influence which contributes to the lack of regard for
    the name of our incarnate God, Jesus Christ.
I know that Jesus said that we will be judged even by every word we have ever uttered,
but I hope that that was a warning to us to be reverent and good and truthful when we talk, and not intended to make us scrupulous. If I worried about Judgement Day and every word I have ever spoken being used against me by the Lord, that would drive me absolutely insane with scrupulosity and maybe even to suicide. How can you ever seriously repent (or even remember, so you CAN repent) of every improper or false or unkind word you have ever spoken in your life??? It is IMPOSSIBLE and NO-ONE can do it. NO ONE, period.
Love,
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
 
Depends, If you say it in a time when your talking to friends then yes it can be if you sa it OVER AND OVER. I remember my ma wanted to find her student on a tv show and she said it but no that wouldn’t be a sin, she technically was asking for help from God to do this!
 
Here is one way to turn venial sin into a praise…

When you started saying “Oh my God”… don’t stop there!

You can say “Oh my God…I praise your holy name”
or
“Oh my God… I love you. Have mercy on me a sinner.”

Also, you can get in the habit of saying…

“Praise the Lord” in place of “Oh my God.”

(I actually got the idea from one of our separated brethren.)

I’m sure there and hundreds of possibilities, but you get the point. 😉
I’ve been working on kicking this bad habit out the window for the past few months. I still slip, but I’ve progressed from “omg” to “oh my gosh,” so hopefully soon to “oh my goodness.” But this is GREAT advise! 👍

Edit: Just noticed this was an old thread that got “dug up” before my post. Mea culpa 😊
 
Even Father Benedict Groeschel says God’s name in this sort of a fashion. I remember he was talking about Nuns that were pro-choice. He said something like, “To think that there are Nuns and Sisters that promote abortion. My God!” Clenches heart with hand

There is a very big misconception with the Lord’s name in Vain issue. Many people saying it in such a way is a Mortal Sin no matter what, but this is not the case. It can be used in such a way with reverence, and with reason.
Taking into consideration the "Three Criteria of what constitutes a Mortal Sin, that is, being a (“Grave Matter, Full Knowledge and Full Consent”), all three criteria which are needed to account for a mortal sin. Saying OMG repeated out of bad habit can become a mortal sin.

The big question is are those who frequent saying OMG morally and consciously aware that their sinning mortally. Only they in their humility and God can answer that.

Serious venial sins can amount to a Mortal Sin if done in spite.

We must all be conscious of God’s Commandments and not taking the Lord thy God Holy Name in Vain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top