Is the intention of causing psychological harm sinning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robertganger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robertganger

Guest
Hi I wanted to know if having the intention of causing harm is a sin e.g. person a belives that in there mind that If they do something they assume person b would be jealous/potentially inflict mental harm to note that person a isn’t physical harming person b, however I’f they persue on a certain action they believe the other person would be upset keep in mind that person a cant possibly determine if there actions caused the person b harm and can only assume that they have, in theory would the intention/beliefe still be a sin if in reality no actual harm was caused.
 
Yes, intending to harm somebody is a sin, even if you fail to actually harm them. Likewise, attempted murder is a sin, attempting to have an affair but failing is a sin, etc. Sin is an act of the will.
 
Harm is harm.
Mental and emotional harm is just as harmful as punching someone or shooting someone. Sometimes more harmful.
Deliberately inflicting it on another is a sin.
Having the intent to deliberately inflict it on another is also a sin, even if the person doesn’t end up actually feeling jealous or whatever.

Why would you think it is okay to “inflict mental harm”?
 
Last edited:
I’m not saying its okay but I was just curious of a situation I was involved in where i would avoid talking to this one person who got me on my angry side (for not there fault it was my personal problem) which I believe they were Interested in being friends with me and i would talk/socialise with other people in front of them which I believe but cant confirm just based on there behaviour that they may of gotten upset because of my actions/intentions.
 
Last edited:
Deciding to limit who you talk to because you don’t get along well with them is not the same thing as deliberately causing someone mental harm.

You need to be polite and kind to the person, like if you walk up and they’re conversing in a group of your friends you say, “Hello” and don’t announce, “Hey I want to talk with my friends and I don’t want you around, go away, get lost”. Likewise if you saw them being upset or being bullied or something you should ask them “What’s wrong” or try to step in for them, report the problem etc.
But you’re not required to be their particular friend, especially when you have a good reason not to be friends (they make you angry which potentially leads you into sin if you act on your anger by yelling or something).

Deliberately causing mental harm would be something like, “I’m going to invite everybody to my party except for X and I’m going to make sure X knows we’re having a party and they’re not invited, because I can’t stand them.”
 
Last edited:
Yeah I get the point it’s just hard for me at the moment because I’ve reached the point where ive decided to prevent my self from being attracted to any women/crush my unwanted feelings and focus on the things that truly make me happy rather than put myself into a oblivion of uselessness, for the record I’m not trying to be a misogynist or sexist and I can guarantee that I don’t discriminate against any human on the basis of gender I’ve got women family members and the last thing I would do is judge them because of there gender, i just want to think for myself and not because of the sexuality I was born with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top