Is there a catechism/bible verse saying to pray to Mary?

• Thread starter Thread starter jasonconners7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonconners7

Is there a verse in the Bible or something in the catechism that says to pray to Mary?

Is there a verse in the Bible or something in the catechism that says to pray to Mary?
Catechism of the Catholic Chuch
956 The intercession of the saints . "Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness. . . . They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus . . . . So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped."495
Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you after my death and I shall help you then more effectively than during my life.496
I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth.497
962 “We believe in the communion of all the faithful of Christ, those who are pilgrims on earth, the dead who are being purified, and the blessed in heaven, all together forming one Church; and we believe that in this communion, the merciful love of God and his saints is always [attentive] to our prayers” (Paul VI, CPG § 30).

971 " All generations will call me blessed ": "The Church’s devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship."515 The Church rightly honors "the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of ‘Mother of God,’ to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs. . . . This very special devotion . . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration."516 The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an “epitome of the whole Gospel,” express this devotion to the Virgin Mary.517
LG = Lumen gentium
CPG = Solemn Profession of faith: Credo of the People of God
MC = Marialis cultus
SC = Sacrosanctum concilium
495 LG 49; cf. 1 Tim 2:5.
496 St. Dominic, dying, to his brothers.
497 St. Thérèse of Lisieux, The Final Conversations , tr. John Clarke (Washington: ICS, 1977), 102.
515 Lk 1:48; Paul VI, MC 56.
516 LG 66.
517 Cf. Paul VI, MC 42; SC 103.

Last edited:
With all due respect, this is about your third thread asking if there is a verse in the Bible or something in the Catechism that allows us to behave like normal Catholics and do what we do.

The answer is yes, everything Catholics do is backed up by the Catechism, and has its basis in Scripture.

If you are truly interested in the subject of Catholicism, why not read the Catechism rather than keep asking us to justify ourselves by providing a piece of it here and a piece of it there?

The Catechism is right online, here, and contains many references to Scripture and other supporting documents.

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited:
Not to detract from @Tis_Bearself’s comment above (because everything is truly rooted in Scripture or referenced, as well as the Catechism, and often other authoritative documents), but we believe Jesus established a Church (per the gospel accounts like Matthew 16:18)… He did not establish a book. The Church authored the Bible with Divine Influence. Ergo, not everything needs to be in a written text (although, as I say, they are), and certainly not a particular text. The living Church is guided by the Holy Spirit as the ultimate source of authority.

So we start out Mass in the Latin Rite with a Penitential Rite, and this is the oldest one:

“I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do.”
[striking their breast, they say]
"through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.

Therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.”

Priest: “May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life.”

[This is what everybody else, including the cloud of witnesses, is presumably praying also; but the priest is the only one who says it out loud.]

There’s also Eucharistic Prayer I, the “Roman Canon” and the eucharistic prayer par excellence in the Latin Rite. Which includes the following words:

"We offer you this sacrifice of praise…
in communion with those whose memory we venerate,
especially the glorious ever-Virgin Mary,
Mother of our God and Lord, Jesus Christ,
and blessed Joseph, her Spouse,

your blessed Apostles and Martyrs:

Peter and Paul, Andrew, James, John, Thomas, James, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Simon and Jude;

Linus, Cletus, Clement, Sixtus, Cornelius, Cyprian,

Lawrence, Chrysogonus, John and Paul, Cosmas and Damian,

and all your Saints;
we ask that through their merits and prayers,
in all things we may be defended
by your protecting help."

Last edited:
I don’t even have a denomination! I’m honestly trying to figure out about catholic stuff because I met an angel in physical form and he said he was catholic it freaked me out and because I was raised all kinds of Christian denominations and the only reference to catholicism I had were my grandparents and my mom would say that my grandmother would “pray to Mary” I was looking for evidence so I could follow in the footsteps of my grandmother because she had such a good heart I honestly wasn’t trying to offend anyone I have sincere intentions of being a holy person sorry if I’ve been annoying I just know nothing about Catholics and this has been my only help.

And I’m not lazy I have a disease in my mind that makes it hard for me to read that’s why I was asking for help on catechism quotes it gives me a really bad headache trying to read the thing.

I’m sorry if I offended you I’m not trying to bother anyone I just want help because I am trying to be the best catholic I can be.

Then it’s I who should apologize. I would say that in the future, you should perhaps give some context to your questions.

It’s okay to ask questions. We’re a little gun-shy, because we do get a lot of trolls.

The real answer is that we’ve always done it, and it’s in the Mass. (Different Catholic Rites have different stuff in their Masses, but they pretty much all include prayers concerning the saints and Mary, as well as the holy angels.) And we do it because Jews also asked dead saints for help, as is shown in the Bible in many places; and there’s still a lot of Jewish devotion to Rachel’s Tomb and the Tombs of the Patriarchs.

If you ask why Jews prayed for Rachel’s help when they were getting taken off to Babylon, or why relatively minor figures such as Serah daughter of Asher were believed to have amazing saintly powers and possibly to have been taken to Heaven without dying, you will probably get closer to the answer, in practical and historical terms.

But it’s pretty basic Christian theology.

“To the foolish, it seemed that they were dead.” But the point is that those who are dead in Christ are still alive and active, as parts of His Body, and they are part of the Communion of Saints. No member of the Church is totally separate from any other member of the Church, because we all have the same Head. He is alive, so we are alive. He is the living god of those who live, not of the dead.

People’s bodies may sleep in the ground, but they will be resurrected eventually. (For eternal life or eternal hell.)

Last edited:
There are searchable Catechisms online.

I think there are also audiobook editions, but I don’t know much about that. Often you can make your computer read stuff on your screen out loud, if you look under “Accessibility.”

NIV Revelation 5:8

“And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.”

Biblical support for “saints” offering our prayers to God - no reason to think Mary doesn’t too - or any other saint.

I came back to the Catholic Church after many decades away, in churches that said it was wrong to pray to Mary. It helps me to think of it a different way. I personally do not like the wording “pray to Mary”, even though I understand what the church really means by it. So in my mind, I always think of it as asking her to pray for me, which is an entirely different thing. Just my opinion, but I wish the word “pray” meant speaking exclusively to God. Maybe it’s different in other languages, I don’t know, but there are times I wish we wouldn’t say “pray” to Mary, or “pray” to the Saints, as it seems to convey the wrong idea especially to non-Catholic Christians. And the resulting disunity breaks my heart.

Why would we need a bible verse? we have the Tradition of the Church. And the earliest recorded prayer to Mary is the sub tuum praesidium (3rd or 4th century) and the earliest depictions of her are from the Priscilla catacombs in Rome (early 3rd century).

Last edited:
I interpret God as asking Mary for her intercession, when he told her, through Gabriel, to give birth to Jesus and grant Him presence in our imperfect lives.

Last edited:
Lk 1:28,42

Together, these verses comprise part of the “Hail Mary”, and it is precisely the prayer by St. Gabriel the Archangel and St. Elizabeth that we imitate when we recite this prayer to Mary today.

The reason “prayer to saints” has such a repugnant reputation among Protestants is because they consider prayer to be intrinsically latria worship. They cannot conceive of the common definition of prayer as communication, as asking, one Christian to another. They also say you can’t speak to dead people. It is unfortunate that they cannot affirm Mary, the angels and the saints as alive in Heaven, because they are certainly not dead, according to our faith.

from the magnificat

“henceforth all generations shall call me blessed”

then you have the hail mary and it seems like Catholics have been doing this a very long time. perhaps longer than the bible has been around

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back