Is there a proper way to say a novena?

• Thread starter Thread starter Aureole
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aureole

Well with the help of these very forums I found out about novenas. I asked my religion teacher about them and he gave me a booklet that contains a novena to St. Joseph.

Then I went and got a book, one suggested by the people on these forums, in which there is a novena to St. Michael the Archangel.

I asked my religion teacher how to pray a novena and if there were any specific “rules” that apply to them. Well he said generally no, and told me to state what it was I praying for at the end of each day. I never would have found that out were it not for him, as the books don’t appear to say anything on that. Also another confusing thing, in the novena to St. Michael at the end of the ninth day it has a antiphon, verse, and response. Needless to say that I’m slightly confused. So my questions are these:

1.) Is there a formal structure to praying a novena?
2.) What is up with the antiphon, verse and response? Do I say these at all? If so where?
3.) Is there supposed to be a “buffer zone” between novenas? I intend to pray one then the other almost immediately after.

And a more personal question on these two specific novenas.

4.) What does everyone here pray to St. Joseph for in general? Along these same lines, what does everyone here pray to St. Michael for?

Thanks for your time in reading this, it actually turned out a lot longer than I thought.

Yes there are forms for novenas (each one seems to have its own form).

Don’t stress over the forms. They are not magic. They are approved forms of prayer, but the most important part is the praying, not the formula.

I should probably clarify what St. Joseph. Spouse of Mary, foster father of Jesus. My bad.

No fixed rules need be laid down, generally speaking, for the making of a novena beyond that of persevering in prayer through the space of nine days – following the example of the Apostles who prayed for nine days for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Novena can also be done for 18 days – 9 days of prayer of petition followed by 9 days of prayer of thanksgiving even if the request hasn’t been answered yet. There is also a 54-day novena – three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of petition followed by three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of thansgiving.

The efficacy of any novena depends in great measure on the piety and devotion of the individual. The following suggestions will increase the fervor of your novena:
  1. *] Participate, if possible , in the public novena services, since there is added efficacy in the union of the faithful at prayer.

*] Receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion during your novena.

*] Promise an act of public gratitude, should your petition be granted; have holy Mass celebrated in thanksgiving; make your favor public for the encouragement of others; spread devotion to the Novena

*] While making your request, be sure to honestly leave yourself open to God’s will – meaning be willing to accept God’s answer even if it comes in a way that you do not expect or want.
    … Hope this helps.

Sir Knight:

There is also a 54-day novena – three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of petition followed by three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of thansgiving.

The efficacy of any novena depends in great measure on the piety and devotion of the individual. The following suggestions will increase the fervor of your novena:

1. *]Participate, if possible , in the public novena services, since there is added efficacy in the union of the faithful at prayer.
    *]Receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion during your novena.
    *]Promise an act of public gratitude, should your petition be granted; have holy Mass celebrated in thanksgiving; make your favor public for the encouragement of others; spread devotion to the Novena
    *]While making your request, be sure to honestly leave yourself open to God’s will – meaning be willing to accept God’s answer even if it comes in a way that you do not expect or want.

1. this is my very favorite novena…have been praying this one on and off for over 20 years. I met and married my second husband as a result of this novena…
    Excellent suggestions BTW.👍
    Annunciata:)

Sir Knight:
No fixed rules need be laid down, generally speaking, for the making of a novena beyond that of persevering in prayer through the space of nine days – following the example of the Apostles who prayed for nine days for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Novena can also be done for 18 days – 9 days of prayer of petition followed by 9 days of prayer of thanksgiving even if the request hasn’t been answered yet. There is also a 54-day novena – three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of petition followed by three 9-day Novena’s in prayer of thansgiving.

1. *]Participate, if possible , in the public novena services, since there is added efficacy in the union of the faithful at prayer.
    *]Receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion during your novena.
    *]Promise an act of public gratitude, should your petition be granted; have holy Mass celebrated in thanksgiving; make your favor public for the encouragement of others; spread devotion to the Novena
    *]While making your request, be sure to honestly leave yourself open to God’s will – meaning be willing to accept God’s answer even if it comes in a way that you do not expect or want.

… Hope this helps.

1. Okay thanks a lot. I only knew of the nine day novena, the eighteen and fifty-four are news to me.

About the suggestions:
    1. I’m not sure there are public novena services around here, but I’ll ask my priest about it and hopefully get a favourable response.
    2. Sadly I still can’t receive Eucharist, I’m hoping to remedy that come Easter. Reconciliation though I can do so again I’ll talk to my priest about this.
    3. Originally I was going to pray a novena to St. Michael the Archangel coming close to the new year, to help protect us Catholics and perhaps restore the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel at the end of Mass, as that would help protect us weekly. I was going to start a nine-day novena on the twenty-fourth so as to end on the first of January as the new year begins. September would be a better month, but I figure the new year is as good a time as any.
    4. Maybe I was a bit specific in my request? But I’m open to anything really, I’m not God so I don’t say how favours are to be granted and I accept what I see.
    Thanks for the great information.

40.png
Annunciata:
this is my very favorite novena…have been praying this one on and off for over 20 years. I met and married my second husband as a result of this novena…
Excellent suggestions BTW.👍
screeeeeeech - stop the car…what novena? I am confused. Annunciata, whatever novena you said that helped get your second husband…I need to do it!

Lay it on me woman!

40.png
jrabs:
screeeeeeech - stop the car…what novena? I am confused. Annunciata, whatever novena you said that helped get your second husband…I need to do it!

Lay it on me woman!
You asked for it…this is a powerful and very laborious novena…but well worth it. Some of us were praying it for the election! Look what happened!!!:clapping:
Here is the link: 54 Day Rosary Novena look in bottom of left column for info and I’d be very glad to help you w/ it.

God Bless,
p.s. the Green Scapular is working!

40.png
Aureole:
  1. I’m not sure there are public novena services around here, but I’ll ask my priest about it and hopefully get a favourable response.
Sadly, this depends very much on location. When I lived in NJ, several church in the area had perpetual novena prayer services – some to St. Jude, some to St. Joseph, some to the Blaeeed Virgin Mary, etc.; and it was noted right there in the bulletin. When I lived in FL, I didn’t see any and now that I’m in PA, I haven’t come across any either. But IF POSSIBLE, it helps our cause if our prayers are united with others in prayer. I have heard it said that if you pray one Rosary, you get the spiritual benefits of one rosary but if you say it in a group with 9 other people, then each of you gets the benefit of ten rosaries. The same applies to noveans. If you pray in a group with others, you get the spiritual benefits of those praying with you.
40.png
Aureole:
  1. Sadly I still can’t receive Eucharist, I’m hoping to remedy that come Easter. Reconciliation though I can do so again I’ll talk to my priest about this.
I don’t know what your personal situation is but the more that we are in a state of grace (free from sin via confession and receiving graces from worthily receiving the Eucharist), the more likely that we will be heard.
40.png
Aureole:
  1. Maybe I was a bit specific in my request? But I’m open to anything really, I’m not God so I don’t say how favours are to be granted and I accept what I see.
You need to pray with full faith that God will grant your request but still be open to a ‘no’ answer and be honestly able to accept it.
40.png
Aureole:
Thanks for the great information.
Your welcome. Hope it helps.

40.png
Annunciata:
You asked for it…this is a powerful and very laborious novena…but well worth it. Some of us were praying it for the election! Look what happened!!!:clapping:
Here is the link: 54 Day Rosary Novena look in bottom of left column for info and I’d be very glad to help you w/ it.

God Bless,
p.s. the Green Scapular is working!
Thanks for the Novena. I will set in into motion.

Please PM me about the scapular updates…I am very curious in your progress. Besides, I could use a bit 'o encouragement since my conversion needs are very hard hearted and slow to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back