Is there a Sineater?

• Thread starter Thread starter sineater
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Aztec culture there was a goddess named, “Filth-eater”-- Sorry, I can’t remember the name in Nauhautl. Her job was to go to visit dying persons, in the person of a temple priest, who would hear the sins of the dying person. “Filth-eater” then “ate” the sins, allowing the person to move on to the afterworld they believed in.

There’s more, but I don’t remember it.

There is no such thing as a “sineater” in the Catholic Church.

Sineater was a terriable movie, it was corny. I put it on the same level as stigmata.

Luke1:48:
Sineater was a terriable movie, it was corny. I put it on the same level as stigmata.
I agree, hollywood doesn’t want to do movies on the Saints that had so many gifts from God,instead they make up a Vatican conspiracy of sineaters doomed to eat peoples sins for hundreds of years:rolleyes: Don’t buy it. God Bless

I’m not sure if a remember a movie called “Sin Eater”, but I do recall wasting a few dollars renting a truly forgettable movie called “The Order”. As I vaguely recall, there was something about a sin eater in that movie. Is the what you are referring to? or did I also see a movie called “Sin Eater” (which would also seem to be quite forgettable) that is different?

Dear friends

If there is a sin eater, in this world it would be suffering from the sin of gluttony itself!!!:rotfl: Sin eater?? Hmm sounds like the opposite of the Eucharist to me!!!

What will Hollywood dream up next to fill folks minds with???

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
sineater:
What do you think? Is there really a sineater?
nope…totally against Catholic faith/teaching…it doesn’t even make sense either.

40.png
sineater:
What do you think? Is there really a sineater?

Oh WHAT A QUIRKY QUESTION>

YOU, THE POSTER, are NAMED the SINEATER. You are a real person. SO YES THERE IS A SINEATER…YOU ARE THE SINEATER!🤓

Well, since Jesus took our sins upon him, I guess in the VERY LOOSEST translation possible he can be considered a “sineater” 😉

But any type of Sineater as depicted in that film The Order? no…good gravy… I HATED Stigmata… but The Order makes Stigmata comes off like a masterpiece.

Faithful 2 Rome:
Well, since Jesus took our sins upon him, I guess in the VERY LOOSEST translation possible he can be considered a “sineater” 😉

But any type of Sineater as depicted in that film The Order? no…good gravy… I HATED Stigmata… but The Order makes Stigmata comes off like a masterpiece.
Yes, the Order was extremely lame. It is complete Hollywood depravity.

Here’s Sweetchuck’s two-fold rule-of-thumb for determining whether a Hollywood “religion” movie is to be trusted:
  • If the priest gets the girl (or, in the case of Mystic River, the little boy), it’s a movie to be avoided by Catholics.
  • If the movie attempts to tarnish the images of Savior or saints (such as “Last Temptation of Christ”), it’s a movie to be avoided by Catholics.

From an early 20th century encyclopedia:
SIN-EATER, a man who, in exchange for trifling payment (usually of food and drink), was believed to take upon himself the sins of a deceased person. The custom was once common in many parts of England and in the highlands of Scotland and it survived until recent years in Wales and the counties of Shropshire and Herefordshire. Usually each village had its official sin-eater to whom notice was given as soon as a death occurred. He at once went to the house, and there, a stool being brought, he sat down in front of the door. A groat, a crust of bread and a bowl of ale were handed him, and after he had eaten and drunk he rose and pronounced the ease and rest of the dead person, for whom he thus pawned his own soul.
The earlier form seems to have been more realistic, the sin-eater was taken into the death-chamber and, a piece of bread and possibly cheese having been placed on the breast of the corpse by a relative, handed to the sin-eater, who ate it in the presence of the dead. He was then handed his fee, and at once hustled and thrust out of the house amid execrations, and a shower of sticks, cinders or whatever other missles were handy.
The concept of sin-eating is generally supposed to be derived from the scapegoat in Leviticus 16:21, 22. A symbolic survival of it was witnessed as recently as 1893 at Market Drayton, Shropshire. After a preliminary service had been held over the coffin in the house, a woman poured out a glass of wine for each bearer and handed it to him across the coffin with a funeral biscuit. In Upper Bavaria sin-eating still survives: a corpse cake is placed on the breast of the dead and then eaten by the nearest relative, while in the Balkan peninsula a small bread image of the deceased is made and eaten by the survivors of the family.
Dutch doed-koecks or dead-cakes, marked with the initials of the deceased and introduced into America in the 17th century, were long given to the attendants at funerals in old New York. The burial-cakes which are still made in parts of rural England, for example Lincolnshire and Cumberland, are almost certainly a relic of sin-eating.

I think the real question is: If there is a sineater, is there also a cosineater? And if so, does that mean that there is a tangenteater as well? Can a calculator be all three – a sin-, cosine- and tangenteater – all in one?

😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back