Is there any fairness in the world?

• Thread starter Thread starter Randomperson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randomperson

In saint Pauls letter to the romans he states that God has mercy on those he chooses and hardens the hearts of this he chooses. It’s also said in the bible that no one can come to Christ unless the Father draws him. Given that it’s Gods choices whether you will be saved or not what can we really do. What’s the point in trying to do anything if I’m not one of the people chosen for heaven. Why would God create people like hitler and lenin? Does he want souls to be created to populate hell with? If so what can I do if I’m not wanted in heaven? I want to go to heaven and be saved but I sin persistently in a way that I feel I cannot help with. Saint Paul also writes in a different chapter about how we can want to do good and be good but our inherent sinful nature causes us to sin in a way that is against our will. What can I do? How can I possibly go to heaven at this rate? Do we have free will? If we did then why do I sin in a way I cannot help with? I’m not even begin to talk about suffering cos that would take me ages but yeah I don’t even know what to say anymore. Rant over.

Of course, fairness is not guaranteed or even to be expected in this life.

It’s the will of God that all men should be saved. Some choose their own will over God’s, which is the risk God ran by creating us with free will.
You have to work out your salvation, but it’s God working in you to do his will. So all you have to do is follow Christ, avoid sin, and try to do good.
You are wanted in heaven. Heaven will not be complete without your gifts, so hang in there.

… What’s the point in trying to do anything if I’m not one of the people chosen for heaven… Saint Paul also writes in a different chapter about how we can want to do good and be good but our inherent sinful nature causes us to sin in a way that is against our will. … Do we have free will? If we did then why do I sin in a way I cannot help with?..
One key to understanding is that God desires to save all, so gives actual grace of conversion after which a person must cooperate. “The preparation of man for the reception of grace is already a work of grace.” (Catechism 2001).

God created each human in His image and likeness with free will. However it is possible to become enslaved to sin. However, culpability for sin is not always present. The Beatific Vision in heaven is reserved for those that have merit, attained through cooperation with grace at least by the last moment of life (having a state of sanctifying grace – which is a state of charity). Others that die in mortal or original sin only do not receive heaven, however may or may not suffer depending on demerit.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
311 Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. Thus has moral evil , incommensurably more harmful than physical evil, entered the world. God is in no way, directly or indirectly, the cause of moral evil.176 He permits it, however, because he respects the freedom of his creatures and, mysteriously, knows how to derive good from it:
For almighty God. . ., because he is supremely good, would never allow any evil whatsoever to exist in his works if he were not so all-powerful and good as to cause good to emerge from evil itself.177
176 Cf. St. Augustine, De libero arbitrio 1,1,2: PL 32,1221-1223; St. Thomas Aquinas, STh I-II,79,1.
177 St. Augustine, Enchiridion 3,11: PL 40,236.

Last edited:
In saint Pauls letter to the romans he states that God has mercy on those he chooses and hardens the hearts of this he chooses. It’s also said in the bible that no one can come to Christ unless the Father draws him. Given that it’s Gods choices whether you will be saved or not what can we really do. What’s the point in trying to do anything if I’m not one of the people chosen for heaven. Why would God create people like hitler and lenin? Does he want souls to be created to populate hell with? If so what can I do if I’m not wanted in heaven? I want to go to heaven and be saved but I sin persistently in a way that I feel I cannot help with. Saint Paul also writes in a different chapter about how we can want to do good and be good but our inherent sinful nature causes us to sin in a way that is against our will. What can I do? How can I possibly go to heaven at this rate? Do we have free will? If we did then why do I sin in a way I cannot help with? I’m not even begin to talk about suffering cos that would take me ages but yeah I don’t even know what to say anymore. Rant over.
We all sin. And sometimes people pay no penalty. So quite often there is no justice. And some of us believe that there will be no reward for doing good. At least not in an after life. But most of us try to do good and avoid doing something bad because it affects people in the here and now.

Just do the best you can. Can’t ask for more than that.

One of my favorite sayings from St Anthony of the Desert:
When the same Abba Anthony thought about the depth of the judgments of God, he asked, "Lord, how is it that some die when they are young, while others drag on to extreme old age? Why are there those who are poor and those who are rich? Why do wicked men proper and why are the just in need? He heard a voice answering him, “Anthony, keep your attention on yourself; these things are according to the judgment of God, and it is not to your advantage to know anything about them.”

Your understanding is at odds with Church teaching. Our wills are not at all overridden, our fates are not predetermined. St Paul was engaging in a bit of hyperbole perhaps but in any case the Church teaches that while man cannot possibly turn himself to God and save himself, his will is involved in that he can still refuse to be saved. God draws us to Himself, but will not force us to accept.

Its hard to understand some bible verses I get what hes saying this one got me : Romans 9:21
O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it: Why hast thou made me thus? 21Or hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump, to make one vessel unto honour and another unto dishonour? 22What if God, willing to shew his wrath and to make his power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath, fitted for destruction,…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back