Is this a mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YoungIreland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YoungIreland

Guest
Long story short, I got into a rather heated debate with two posters on another site over the upcoming children’s referendum in Ireland on another site, and anyway I stated without thinking that some of the No campaigners (not named) reminded me of Michael Voris in that believed that they were more Catholic than the Irish bishops (who have supported it in all but name). After reflecting I removed the comment and put an apology in place of it. So my question is, have I sinned mortally?
 
Long story short, I got into a rather heated debate with two posters on another site over the upcoming children’s referendum in Ireland on another site, and anyway I stated without thinking that some of the No campaigners (not named) reminded me of Michael Voris in that believed that they were more Catholic than the Irish bishops (who have supported it in all but name). After reflecting I removed the comment and put an apology in place of it. So my question is, have I sinned mortally?
It is not good to criticize the priests, yes, for they are God’s ministers and should revered according to their office. However, for a sin to be mortal, you must be dealing with grave matter, like sacrilege, adultery, heresy and masturbation/pornography.

No, I would not say it is mortal, I would say it is venial, for you are criticizing their humility or their pride (if they are wrong). Criticism in this case is only venial.

Yet, to be absolutely certain, go to the priest with this question. One that is wise and whom you trust to his intellect.

God Bless You and Yours~
 
It is not good to criticize the priests, yes, for they are God’s ministers and should revered according to their office. However, for a sin to be mortal, you must be dealing with grave matter, like sacrilege, adultery, heresy and masturbation/pornography.

No, I would not say it is mortal, I would say it is venial, for you are criticizing their humility or their pride (if they are wrong). Criticism in this case is only venial.

Yet, to be absolutely certain, go to the priest with this question. One that is wise and whom you trust to his intellect.

God Bless You and Yours~
For the record, it was not me who criticised the bishops. Just wanted to clear it up.
 
Long story short, I got into a rather heated debate with two posters on another site over the upcoming children’s referendum in Ireland on another site, and anyway I stated without thinking that some of the No campaigners (not named) reminded me of Michael Voris in that believed that they were more Catholic than the Irish bishops (who have supported it in all but name). After reflecting I removed the comment and put an apology in place of it. So my question is, have I sinned mortally?
I think you need to find a spiritual director wile you work through your scrupulosity.👍
 
For the record, it was not me who criticised the bishops. Just wanted to clear it up.
I know you didn’t. I was commending your good action, coming to the defense of bishops. Even if bishops aren’t perfect, the office needs be defended.

Thank You.

God Bless You and Yours~
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top