Is this legit? Is this truly Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter copland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copland

I just received this from my mom through email who is not a believer. But I was wondering if this had any Catholic connection and if so I could build upon this email to reach her with the truth of the Cathoic Church. How should I respond to it? Here is the exact email I got from her.
Theresa’s Prayer cannot be deleted. REMEMBER to make a wish before you
read the poem. That’s all you have to do. There is nothing attached.
This is a powerful novena. Just send this to seven people and let me know
what happens on the fourth day. Do not break this, please. Prayer is one of
the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost, but a lot of reward.
(Did you make a wish?) If you don’t make a wish, it won’t come true.
Last chance to make a wish!
St. Theresa’s Prayer:
May today there be peace within. May you trust your highest power that
you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the
infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts
that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to
you… May you be content knowing you are a child of God… Let this
presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing,
dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.
Now, send this to 7 people within the next 5 minutes and your wish will
come true. And remember to send this back… you’ll see why

Of course not. This is truly superstitious.

Maybe counter with some real St. Therese stuff.

John

What would be a good intellegent response?

Let me just include that she(my mom) is struggling with some personal matters, and I know that this email I got from her was just a desparate way to try anything to help herself. I feel sorry for her, so I may just not even reply to the email but to let it pass.

This is definitly superstitious! I get this a couple time a year and I cut out everything except the prayer and send it back to the one who sent it without an explanation…I think this is sufficient…then when asked, you can tell them. I think most people can figure it out.

40.png
copland:
What would be a good intellegent response?
Hit the delete button.

Gently tell her that it is a superstitious chain letter, and the Church’s prohibitions against superstitions. If she said she was passing such things on for the beauty of the prayer, ask her to edit the superstitous parts out; ie: the “do not delete” “did you make a wish” and “send this to X amount of people in Y amount of time.”

Obviously the chain-letter aspect of it is bogus superstition. I don’t know if the prayer itself is authentic. My gut says it’s not because I would expect specific mention of Christ if it were. It sounds a little “new age” to me.

There’s a book out called Saintly Solutions by Fr. Joseph Esper that contains writings and prayers of various saints cataloged according to common difficulties and struggles we encounter in life. Depending on whatever she’s struggling with, it might be a good resource if you want to find something inspirational for your mom.

Tell her the email is nonsense, but then why not offer a prayer for the Saint’s intercession. St. Terese of Lisuex was a really marvelous Saint.

You and your mother could pray it together:

PRAYER TO ST. THERESE

O little St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, who during your short life on earth became a mirror of angelic purity, of love strong as death, and of wholehearted abandonment to God, now that you rejoice in the reward of your virtues, cast a glance of pity on me as I leave all things in your hands. Make my troubles your own - speak a word for me to our Lady Immaculate, whose flower of special love you were - to that Queen of heaven “who smiled on you at the dawn of life.” Beg her as the Queen of the heart of Jesus to obtain for me by her powerful intercession, the grace I yearn for so ardently at this moment, and that she join with it a blessing that may strengthen me during life. Defend me at the hour of death, and lead me straight on to a happy eternity.

Amen

Also, this might be an opening to get her a copy of “Story of a Soul” by St. Therese. It is a truly, truly inspirational book and a wonderful intro to Catholic thought.

peace

I’m afraid that it is superstition like this under the guise of Catholicism that gives us Catholics a bad name.

It does not matter how sincere the email or prayer is. Don’t forward this or similar chain emails.

It just gives Protestants extra ammo to shoot at us Catholics.

40.png
bob:
I’m afraid that it is superstition like this under the guise of Catholicism that gives us Catholics a bad name.

It does not matter how sincere the email or prayer is. Don’t forward this or similar chain emails.

It just gives Protestants extra ammo to shoot at us Catholics.
Protestants aren’t immune to this either. My husband gets them sent to him all the time.

40.png
copland:
I just received this from my mom through email who is not a believer. But I was wondering if this had any Catholic connection and if so I could build upon this email to reach her with the truth of the Cathoic Church. How should I respond to it? Here is the exact email I got from her.
This is what is known as a chain letter.

Nothing more than pure and simple superstition!

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back