Is this still a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Johncardic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johncardic

I know that it is a sin to marry without having the desire to procreate. But if you marry an barren woman,her being barren being a huge plus and maybe the biggest motivator for you to pick her over other women,is it still a sin?

Is it really a sin to marry and not want kids ?

Never knew that.

It is picking her “over other women” that rattles…So is this an hypothetical?
A bit like “shopping“ , that is how it sounds at least to me.
One usually falls in love… with one person.

Last edited:
Being open to children is part of the marriage vows. Procreation is one of the duties of Catholic couples. That being said, desiring a woman who is unable to have children isn’t wrong, but using her for her infertility because you have a contraception mindset is.

“The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord ” (CCC No. 1601).

“So, if one of these conditions is intentionally left out, then no marriage takes place,” he said. “I’ll marry you but not for the rest of our lives — no marriage. Or, I’ll marry you only if I can continue my bachelor lifestyle — no marriage. Or, I’ll marry you but I will not have any children — no marriage.”

Pope Paul VI, in his 1968 encyclical letter Humanae Vitae , explained the Church’s constant teaching: “The transmission of human life is a most serious role in which married people collaborate freely and responsibly with God the Creator.”

According to Father Urban, there is a difference between the intention not to have children and the inability to do so. “For instance, I am walking along the beach and discover someone drowning, but I do not know how to swim,” he said. “I want to save the person, but I can’t. My intention is there but my ability is not. However, if the person got sterilized before the marriage precisely because he did not want children in this marriage, that would invalidate the marriage.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back