Is this type of lying a mortal sin? [solved]

• Thread starter Thread starter benedic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benedic

Hi,

I was playing a videogame with my friends, and I cheated (days ago…) and they asked me if I did indeed cheat, and I said no. Is this mortally sinful lie? I didn’t think at the moment whether it was or not, I just felt bad because I’ve repented and gone to confession because of cheating (I’m not doing it again…) however, did I commit another mortal sin because of lying about it? (Btw, FYI, cheats are like cheat codes, embeed to the game, but we agreeed on not using them…)

Am I being over scrupulous?

Last edited:
Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums.

It is just a game. For it to be a mortal sin, what are the three conditions that together must be met? Grave (serious) matter, full knowledge , and deliberate consent.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1857.htm
In this instance, it is not a matter of great importance, in my opinion.

ok, thank you! Sorry for bothering my brother! I just freaked out, because confession was today haha! I couldn’t imagine myself getting into mortal sin within 24 hours!!! Thanks again!

What can you do to avoid this type of situation in the future?

1. I will not cheat again, and I’ll undo everything that I gained with those cheats in the game.
  2. If asked again, I’ll just avoid the question. (Response without actually saying yes or no…)
Does that sound like a good plan?

It sounds good. I didn’t mean to advise you on a course of action, but just get you to think about how to avoid situations in the future where you feel like you have to cheat or lie. That’s one aspect of repentance: rethinking and planning how to live rightly, how to live a better Christian life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back