Is Uriel a safe Angel?

• Thread starter Thread starter jasonconners7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonconners7

I generally go by whether they are in a Holy Bible if they are safe but the only Holy Bible he’s in that I have is an app that says Holy Bible I don’t own a physical one with him in it.

My old pastor believed in the Book of Enoch where Uriel was mentioned.

He is in the 1611 King James Holy Bible so technically he is listed in the Holy Bible…
As well as the book of Enoch and the Eastern Catholics list him as well.

St. Uriel is a saint of the Catholic Church. He is venerated primarily by Eastern Catholic churches, but even if you’re Latin Catholic, it is okay to ask his intercession, because Eastern Catholic saints are all accepted by the whole Church. I do so frequently because I feel bad that he gets left out so much.

Last edited:
I would note we have past threads on this topic.
40.png
St. Uriel and Saintly Infallibility Eastern Catholicism
So, I’m a Latin-rite cradle Catholic. It wasn’t until recently that I even knew about Eastern Catholics. I knew about the Orthodox Churches that were not in communion with Rome, but I had no idea that there were “other” types of Catholics. Some time ago, I remember hearing (when being told about Papal Infallibility) that one of the few infallible teachings that we regularly see is when the Pope declares a Saint. I know that there was no Canonization process for the archangels, due to them being…
(Note that a priest who used to be a regular poster chimed in on this one)
40.png
Is uriel an angel or demon Traditional Catholicism
Is Uriel angel or demon?
(Another past thread with same priest posting the same information about Uriel)
40.png
Saint Uriel Traditional Catholicism
Is it acceptable to pray to St. Uriel, given that he is not recognized by the Catholic Church as an archangel?
Hopefully this lays any issues to rest about St. Uriel.

We obviously cannot take it upon ourself in the Latin Church to simply forbid traditional saints of the Eastern Churches in communion with us. We Latins might not give them a spot on our own liturgical calendar, but that doesn’t mean a Latin Catholic can’t pray to St. Uriel privately.

Also, many Catholic stores sell medals of St. Uriel. I don’t think they’d be doing that if we weren’t allowed to venerate him.

Last edited:
We obviously cannot take it upon ourself in the Latin Church to simply forbid traditional saints of the Eastern Churches in communion with us. We Latins might not give them a spot on our own liturgical calendar, but that doesn’t mean a Latin Catholic can’t pray to St. Uriel privately.

Also, many Catholic stores sell medals of St. Uriel. I don’t think they’d be doing that if we weren’t allowed to venerate him.

1. Popular devotion to the Holy Angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations:
    -when the daily events of life, which have nothing or little to do with our progressive maturing on the journey towards Christ are read schematically or simplistically, indeed childishly, so as to ascribe all setbacks to the Devil and all success to the Guardian Angels. The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...on_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html
In 288 points of this document there is no word about saint Uriel.
Anyone can pray and venerate whoever they want, nobody can forbidd that.
Even though some Byzantine Churches venerate Uriel I am sure that Latin Church had good reasons to ban his veneration and not bring him back (or any other earlier venerated angel).
Catholic stores sell many things, even things/books they shouldn’t so I stopped use them as measure.

What about naming one’s own guardian angel??? I’ve been calling mine Daniel for years! 😮

Last edited:
Your personal decision is your personal decision.

If you read the past threads I posted, there are multiple, extensive posts by Fr. David, who was a regular poster here and a Catholic priest, confirming that it is fine for Latin Catholics to venerate St. Uriel.

We’ve been over this at least three times and there’s always some Latin Catholic discouraging veneration of St. Uriel based on their own interpretations of whatever they read. Fr. David explains, again quite extensively, that the Latin Church restriction was on using specific names of angels and related to a Catholic bishop that was running a cult some centuries ago.

If you do not wish to venerate St. Uriel by name then feel free to not do so, but it’s both incorrect information, and insulting to the Eastern Catholics whose churches do venerate St. Uriel, for you to claim that such veneration is not permitted by the Catholic Church.

I am not going to argue about this any more with you as the past three threads with all the posts from a respected Latin Catholic priest settle the matter as far as I’m concerned. I think the priest is the most reliable authority here.

Last edited:
I generally go by whether they are in a Holy Bible if they are safe but the only Holy Bible he’s in that I have is an app that says Holy Bible I don’t own a physical one with him in it.
The Latin Church does not recognise Uriel as an angel, never mind an archangel.

See the post above yours.

I was told that angels are beings superior to us. They are not like pets that we have dominion over and can assign names to. They have names, but they are not for us to know. We should not ask to know their names because we can easily be fooled by demons masquerading as an “angel of light”.

At one point I wanted to know my guardian angel’s name, but after thinking about it I decided that was not for me to know, so I just call my angel “Angel”. I figure that’s generic enough.

I’ll be honest, some of this thread’s discussion makes me a bit nervous. Why? I’ve done both graduate & considerable private research work on the occult, and the natural curiosity to know the names of angels is a slippery slope that Christians should avoid…since sometimes it leads to un-natural curiosity.

First: it’s “beyond our paygrade.” Some things will always remain unknown to humans.

Second: the entire basis of Enochian Magick (or other forms of so-called “angel magick”) is to learn the names of the angels (and demons) so that you can have them do your bidding.

I am by no means suggesting anybody here is doing as such. However, some things are meant to always remain mysteries to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back