Is your favorite Rosary ugly?

• Thread starter Thread starter bengeorge
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bengeorge

It’s weird, I have several rosaries, including a beautiful one made of hematite stones and another one that my grandfather carried in WWII… And yet the one I always pray on is a plain little black rosary.

It looks pretty old. It’s has little rust spots on the chain and the center medal (Miraculous Medal). It smells like old pennies.

I have no idea where it came from. It seems to have just showed up one day: I was looking for my other WWII rosary, couldn’t find it, opened a few drawers and found the rusty one. “Dang,” I thought to myself, “I guess I have to use this one.”

And I haven’t used another one since.

Any of you have a similar experience?

There’s no such thing as an ugly Rosary. 🙂

Actually, none of mine look “ugly” (or beat, or worn), because they’re not old enough to have gotten that way yet (I’m a revert. 🙂 ).

Crazy Internet Junkies Society**
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

I just gave my favorite Rosary away to a sick friend last week …
It is tarnished metal…links rejoined…crystal a little worn…but oh, so many fervent prayers on them…
My friend didn’t have a Rosary on her… She went to the hospital in an emergency…She is a “waining” Catholic and she grabbed them as if they were bright sparkling crystal and gold …as if they were as precious to her as they are to me…!🙂

The Rosary I have is really nice. Its the Padre Pio Rosary with a picture of him, and also 8 different pictures of Mary.

Yes, mine is hideous if you’re looking at aesthetics. It’s a red plastic one with grey spacers. The beads are totally scuffed. The crucifix isn’t too bad. It’s metal. It was given to me at a rescue and I’ve had it ever since. That’s about 17 or so years. It’s been with me through some scary situations! It was actually blessed by Bishop Vaughn - didn’t have anything fancier on me. I’ve restrung it and I’ll probably do it again! It’s my favorite! 👍

My favorite Rosary is a plain black one that was blessed by Pope John Paul 2. Not ugly at all.

I have several rosaries, and some of them are quite nice, but I carry a simple red glass bead one whose beads look something like a moonstone with a hint of white light in them that moves horizontally through the beads as they are turned. The metal isn’t precious, though and the medal is a simple Scapular Medal (I’m a Lay Carmelite and so prefer the SM on my rosaries). I’ve had it for years. I use my better ones at home, though and so wore out my crystal and sliver one my dh bought me for my birthday years ago when I had only been a Catholic a very short while. But, none of mine are ugly, just well-used. 😉

40.png
bengeorge:
Any of you have a similar experience?
My mom had her everyday Rosary that was a ladder Rosary and her “show Rosary”. It was silver and for church.

When she was serious about a request, she got out the “good beads” which actually was the ladder Rosary. Therefore, there was beauty to both.

My daughter was given a small Rosary with pink beads. It’s odd because there are Our Father beads on either side of the center. I have never seen this before.

I guess mine isn’t really ugly per se, but it is kind of small with tiny pink beads and silver crucifix, it’s starting to look a little tarnished. It was my uncle’s mothers and I got it when she passed away, years ago. They gave it to me specifically because it’s kind of a little girl type rosary, small and mauve-y pink colored. I have another one with crystal-y blue beads, it wasn’t expensive, but it’s probably a little prettier…but I usually pray the rosary “on the go” on a walk or something and the pink one is just right for that. I’ve always been fond of it even though it’s not the coolest rosary around, anyway. 🙂

I have never seen or used an ugly rosary. All rosaries, when used as intended, are beautiful.

I dont’ think I’ve ever seen an ugly rosary…the one I use the most is special to me because someone special in my life gave it to me…lots of love there

I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like buying a very pretty rosary, but I’ll probably go back to the plain light blue plastic one. I like it because it’s light and the Hail Mary beads have a size/texture/shape that’s different from the Our Father beads.
I also like this wooden rosary that I think is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back