Isaiah Prophecy question... Jeff Cavins

  • Thread starter Thread starter upbeatjonm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

upbeatjonm

Guest
On the Through the Bible study hosted by Jeff Cavins, he alludes that Isaiah prophesied that the Southern Kingdom of Judah would be taken into captivity by the Babylonians, which was prior to Babylon even being a world power. Assyria was the world power at the time.

Does anyone know where in Isaiah he prophesied about Babylon attacking the south?
 
Look in 2nd Kings or 2nd Chronicles. Isaiah prophecies to Hezekiah that Judah will be overrun, but he points out that it will not be during Hezekiah’s lifetime.

I’ll see if I can find the chapter and verse.
 
Here it is. And it looks like you’re wrong. Babylon was around at the time.

Isaiah 39 (1-8) and 2nd Kings 20 (12-19) both describe the incident:
1 *** At that time when Merodach-baladan, son of Baladan, king of Babylon, heard that Hezekiah had recovered from his sickness, he sent letters and gifts to him. 2 ****** Hezekiah was pleased at this, and therefore showed the messengers his treasury, the silver and gold, the spices and fine oil, his whole armory, and everything that was in his storerooms; there was nothing in his house or in his whole realm that he did not show them.****** 3 ****** Then Isaiah the prophet came to King Hezekiah and asked him, “What did these men say to you? Where did they come from?” Hezekiah answered, “They came to me from a distant land, from Babylon.”****** 4 ****** “What did they see in your house?” he asked. Hezekiah replied, “They saw everything in my house; there is nothing in my storerooms that I did not show them.”****** 5 ****** Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the LORD of hosts:****** 6 *** Behold, the days shall come when all that is in your house, and everything that your fathers have stored up until this day, shall be carried off to Babylon; nothing shall be left, says the LORD.*** 7 ****** Some of your own bodily descendants shall be taken and made servants in the palace of the king of Babylon.”****** 8 *** Hezekiah replied to Isaiah, “The word of the LORD which you have spoken is favorable.” For he thought, "There will be peace and security in my lifetime."
I find it very short-sighted and selfish of Hezekiah to be relieved that Babylon won’t destroy HIS kingdom, but will destroy his children’s kingdom.

Random Politically Biased Opinion Warning - Evidently King Hezekiah and President Obama are related! 😉
 
Here it is. And it looks like you’re wrong. Babylon was around at the time.

Isaiah 39 (1-8) and 2nd Kings 20 (12-19) both describe the incident:

I find it very short-sighted and selfish of Hezekiah to be relieved that Babylon won’t destroy HIS kingdom, but will destroy his children’s kingdom.

Random Politically Biased Opinion Warning - Evidently King Hezekiah and President Obama are related! 😉
Thanks for the answers. I wasn’t saying Babylon didn’t exist, but that it wasn’t a power at the time, was somewhat obscure, which Cavens said is what makes it a remarkable prophesy. I wanted to see if the prophesy was in the deutero-Isaiah, which was written after the Babylonian exile.
 
Thanks for the answers. I wasn’t saying Babylon didn’t exist, but that it wasn’t a power at the time, was somewhat obscure, which Cavens said is what makes it a remarkable prophesy. I wanted to see if the prophesy was in the deutero-Isaiah, which was written after the Babylonian exile.
Ok, I see now that you said Babylon existed but wasn’t a world power… (Sorry about that). And you are right, this was a remarkable prophecy, considering that Assyria was the world power. I find the fact that Isaiah prophesied that Cyrus would release the Jews and allowing them to return to Judah is even more remarkable!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top