Isn't God enough?

• Thread starter Thread starter La_Devota
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

La_Devota

My mother-in-law (Methodist) tells me that it’s ridiculous to pray to saints and the Virgin Mary for intervention. She claims that only God can answer prayers and that it isn’t right to pray to anyone else. What should I tell her? What is a good way to explain our belief and tradition? I certainly don’t want to argue or debate with her, but I would like to have a clearer understanding of this myself. I’ve been taught to do it, but don’t really know why.

Does she ever ask members of her family or her friends to pray for her? Our Lady and the saints are our family members that are already in Heaven. Who better to ask God to grant our requests!

Of course only God answers the prayers. We are not asking the others to do that - we are asking them to intercede with God on our behalf.

Kind of a bit like when a young lady who really liked my eldest son asked me to intercede with him for her - she used to call him every day and he just wasn’t taking her on! I did intercede - I talked with him about her, and he simply wasn’t interested. So a requested that he let her know that he was not interested in being her boyfriend so that whe would not continue to waste her time. He did. It was not the answer she was looking for, but it did bring closure to the matter.

Now, when we ask Mary and the saints to intercede for us, we, also must be prepared for an answer from God that is not the one we would like to have!!

Has your mother-in-law ever asked you to pray for her? If she has, remind her of that!

Many non-Catholic Christians tell me that they will pray for me, and don’t realize that they are willing to do for me what they think saints cannot or should not do!! Not logical!

Joan M:
Does she ever ask members of her family or her friends to pray for her? Our Lady and the saints are our family members that are already in Heaven. Who better to ask God to grant our requests!

Of course only God answers the prayers. We are not asking the others to do that - we are asking them to intercede with God on our behalf.

Kind of a bit like when a young lady who really liked my eldest son asked me to intercede with him for her - she used to call him every day and he just wasn’t taking her on! I did intercede - I talked with him about her, and he simply wasn’t interested. So a requested that he let her know that he was not interested in being her boyfriend so that whe would not continue to waste her time. He did. It was not the answer she was looking for, but it did bring closure to the matter.

Now, when we ask Mary and the saints to intercede for us, we, also must be prepared for an answer from God that is not the one we would like to have!!

Has your mother-in-law ever asked you to pray for her? If she has, remind her of that!

Many non-Catholic Christians tell me that they will pray for me, and don’t realize that they are willing to do for me what they think saints cannot or should not do!! Not logical!
This is an excellent answer. I would add one thing. She will wonder if Saints in heaven are aware of us on earth. In Revelations we see the Saints with golden bowls offering the prayers of the saints (those on earth it is emplied) to God.
In Hebrews the author lists many heros of the old Testament watching us–" A great cloud of Wittnesses" they are called–cheering us on. This makes no since if they do not see us. See Below

Hebrews 11
29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days.
31 By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.
32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets,
33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions,
34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies.
35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.
36 Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison.
37 They were stoned; they were sawn in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and ill-treated–
38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.
40 God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Hebrews 12

God Disciplines His Sons

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Here is another point to consider. Jesus Christ said that He is the vine, we are the branches. A branch is only cut off and thrown into the fire if it UNFRUITFUL. The point of the matter is, saint are saint specifically because they enjoy a fruitful Christian life. They are still on the vine, and still capable of bearing fruit. Just because their earthly pilgramage has ended does not end their productive relationship with the Lord. In fact, it is enhanced because they no longer are bound by the demands of materialism.

Your mother in-law must be very sure of herself. 😃

As for me, I prefer to be ushered into the boardroom by the CEO’s own mommy.

If I may respond to the classic comeback about asking friends and family to pray to God for us.

I used this very response with a Baptist preacher a couple of weeks ago. He responded that his friends and family were at this time ALIVE and that Mary and the saints are DEAD and buried, hence, are unable to intercede on our behalf. It was like being hit between the eyes to hear him say that Our Blessed Mother was buried in the ground somewhere, long dead, and not important any longer.

40.png
mkw:
If I may respond to the classic comeback about asking friends and family to pray to God for us.

I used this very response with a Baptist preacher a couple of weeks ago. He responded that his friends and family were at this time ALIVE and that Mary and the saints are DEAD and buried, hence, are unable to intercede on our behalf. It was like being hit between the eyes to hear him say that Our Blessed Mother was buried in the ground somewhere, long dead, and not important any longer.
Ask them, “Is the church the body of Christ?”
Rom12:4-5, 1Cor 12:12…

When we die do we continue as the body of Christ or are we dead? If I am, say, a hand and I am “cut off” what does that do to the body? The body of Christ is whole.

Heb 12:1 talks about being “surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses” Rev 5:8 “. . .each holding bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” Who are these saints and what are their prayers? Jam 5:16 “. . . The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.” Are we here more righteous than those in heaven?

Just some thoughts, I’m not an expert at this ya’ know :o

40.png
mkw:

Ah, but he was wrong. The blessed are more ALIVE than we are. I would have asked him, was it not his own hope, rather than rotting in the ground? Besides what made the preacher believe that his friends and family had more influence on our Lord than our Lord’s own mother? 😃

40.png
mkw:

I used this very response with a Baptist preacher a couple of weeks ago. He responded that his friends and family were at this time ALIVE and that Mary and the saints are DEAD and buried, hence, are unable to intercede on our behalf.
And yet, he would probably be glad to quote you St. Paul about being absent from the body and present with the Lord!

wisdom 3:5:
Heb 12:1 talks about being “surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses” Rev 5:8 “. . .each holding bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” Who are these saints and what are their prayers? Jam 5:16 “. . . The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.” Are we here more righteous than those in heaven?
And who are those saints praying for? Certainly not for themselves, who are already saved. Thus, we can be certain they are praying for those who are still on earth, us.

Gerry 🙂

40.png
mkw:

First of all, this Baptist preacher should tell us exactly where Mary is buried.

More importantly, if he says that Mary and the saints are dead and therefore incapable of interceding for us, is he therefore denying that the Mary and the saints exist in heaven? If they aren’t in heaven, where are they? In hell? Impossible. purgatory? (they don’t even believe it exists). In the ground?(sounds more like atheism). Indeed he has a lot of things to answer first.

Gerry 🙂

La Devota:
My mother-in-law (Methodist) tells me that it’s ridiculous to pray to saints and the Virgin Mary for intervention. She claims that only God can answer prayers and that it isn’t right to pray to anyone else. What should I tell her? What is a good way to explain our belief and tradition? I certainly don’t want to argue or debate with her, but I would like to have a clearer understanding of this myself. I’ve been taught to do it, but don’t really know why.
I feel bad that she has be so judgemental on our faith. Saints and the Blessed Virgin are example on how to live our lives. We honor the Blessed Virgin and Saints like we honor heroes. They are true heroes of our faith. But we give worship to God and to God alone. Honor and worship have different meanings. Saints and The Virgin mediate for us, like if you went to a Protestant service sometimes you will see them praying over one another. You will here them say “i’ll pray for you” or " please pray for me". That what saints and the blessed virgin do for us. I hope this gives a clear and a better understanding. Take and God Bless

wisdom 3:5:
Ask them, “Is the church the body of Christ?”
Rom12:4-5, 1Cor 12:12…

When we die do we continue as the body of Christ or are we dead? If I am, say, a hand and I am “cut off” what does that do to the body? The body of Christ is whole.

Just some thoughts, I’m not an expert at this ya’ know :o
I do not know the exact place it is in the Bible but isn’t there a verse that talks about the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the God of the LIVING and not of the DEAD.
Whether that is referring to spritiual or physical life, it still applies.

hope this helps

go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back