It's official!

• Thread starter Thread starter awalt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

awalt

I sent in all my information and Deacon program application today! Pray for me…

You are in my prayers. I think the diaconate is a great vocation.

I am sure yours is a true vocation to the diaconate- and not as some see it as a way in for married priests.

God Bless you.

If you want it bad enough, God will give it to you. I envy you my friend. I will start taking the classes this fall that one must take before applying to the diaconate. I hope to be in your shoes one day.

May God’s grace be with you.

I sent in all my information and Deacon program application today! Pray for me…
Awalt. I shall pray for you. Make certain that it is God calling you to the deaconate. I went to a formation meeting many years ago and the priest called upon each of the men there to give a brief explanation as to why they were there. I heard this from many of the men: “Well, I want to be a deacon, because I like to help around the church”. “I want to be a deacon because I think it’s a good thing.” “I want to be a deacon because I like to teach CCD.” And the clincher was “I want to be a deacon because I like the respect that is shown to them.” I happened to be the last one and I told the priest that I was there to discern if it was a calling from God. The priest said that it is a calling. I know a deacon who before he was ordained would make sure he would tell everyone he met that he was studying for the deaconate. He changed jobs several times and he was always talking about how everyone in the office admired him for it. We ask others to pray for us to help us discern and give it all to God. We must not boast about how “holy” we are because we are studying to be a priest or a deacon. We must be certain God is calling us. That takes lots of prayer and discernment. I tend to disagree with DiscerningDave that “If you want it bad enough, God will give it to you.” If it is NOT His will, then we have to accept wherever He calls us to. We can’t tell God “I want it really, really bad, so give it to me”. It has to be HIS will, not ours. In the Universal Prayer of Pope Clement XI it says in part: “…I want what You want, because You want it, as You want it, until You want it. I beg You to illuminate my intellect, to inflame my will, to purify my body and sanctify my soul….” Ask God to reveal His will to you and to “illuminate your intellect” to correctly discern if it is Him calling you to become a deacon. God will be faithful and reveal to you in a manner that there will be no doubt. But it will be in His time, not ours. Asked for the intercession of our Blessed Mother too. And of course pray to the patron saint of deacons, St. Stephen.
God Bless

Thanks, excellent thoughts.

I actually put on my application that I believe this is the direction that God wants me to go, but I don’t yet know if I will be ordained or find God’s path is a path off of this one down the road. I can only see in front of my feet 😃

congrat!!!

Sometimes I wonder if there is a calling for me too.
Be strong.

Tak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back