I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart. Now what do I do with it

• Thread starter Thread starter AServantofGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AServantofGod

During prayer, I am periodically blessed with an extreme joy. However, it is uncomfortable (go figure; I guess that’s why I’ll be spending quite a few years in purgatory). I don’t know what to do with it so I go back to my every day tasks, and it goes away. Now my daughter is stating that she suddenly feels extremely happy; she jumps on us to hug us or gets squirmy or hugs so tight we can’t breathe.

I don’t want her to get like me and figure out a way to get rid of this joy. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do when you feel this extreme joy?

Put on some worship music that you really like. Dance to the glory of God.

Josh

Thank God for it and share it with others, perhaps do a kind thing, perhaps hug your wife etc

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Just remember, when the ‘joy’ disappears, we go by Faith and not by Sight, in this case ‘emotions’.
But isn’t joy also the longing in your heart for the Lord? It can be a peaceful joy too.

40.png
threej_lc:
Put on some worship music that you really like. Dance to the glory of God.

Josh
Ummm, how about Gregorian chant? 😃

40.png
AServantofGod:
During prayer, I am periodically blessed with an extreme joy. However, it is uncomfortable (go figure; I guess that’s why I’ll be spending quite a few years in purgatory). I don’t know what to do with it so I go back to my every day tasks, and it goes away. Now my daughter is stating that she suddenly feels extremely happy; she jumps on us to hug us or gets squirmy or hugs so tight we can’t breathe.

I don’t want her to get like me and figure out a way to get rid of this joy. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do when you feel this extreme joy?
So spread it around!!! We could all use some joy! Especially the kind that gives the Peace that passes understanding…😉

40.png
AServantofGod:
Write in a journal.

Make a videotape of your daughter singing.

If you ever experience deep sorrow, know that will prepare you for even greater joy.

I’m curious how it makes you uncomfortable? For example, do you feel that you don’t “deserve” it or are that you will act silly around other people? Do you suspect it is a false sort of joy that could be demonic or derived from subconscious evil thoughts? Afraid of the letdown when you lose it? Joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit, so I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong about it unless there are some very weird circumstances.

OTOH, this morning I experienced great joy and it motivated me to do some of the things I really should have been doing instead of typing on this forum, so I don’t think there’s any particular problem with the way you’re handling it.

I suppose there’s an outside chance you could be a bit manic, because whenever I get manic I often feel great joy, sometimes mixed with pride and fear and many other things. So far I wouldn’t bet on it, but if that’s the case then back to your chores is probably a good strategy. If you don’t have a spiritual director, you might consider finding one, or if it really gets out of control you might ask your family doctor whether this is something to be concerned about. I only mention this for the sake of completeness.

It is interesting that you were also pondering the idea of how to endure suffering. Combined with this question you’re asking, I think you just might benefit from personal spiritual direction. When I met one the first time, I knew almost immediately my life was changing for the better. After he moved away, I met with another one and didn’t feel the same chemistry, so I can’t say it’s a cure-all.

Alan

Concentrate with all you mind, heart and soul, thank God for the sacramental moment, and send it right back to where it came from, His Heart!!! Then do what He tells you and love your neighbor as yourself, with all He has revealed to your heart, with that same love, peace and joy. Easier said then done. Best we can do is keep trying and never give up on ourselves.
Peace,

Elizabeth

I haven’t heard this question in a long, long time. I think you’re supposed to sit on a tack. Looking at a lot of Catholics, I think this must be right.

40.png
pnewton:
I haven’t heard this question in a long, long time. I think you’re supposed to sit on a tack. Looking at a lot of Catholics, I think this must be right.
Interesting comments Phillip. Please continue.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
I’m curious how it makes you uncomfortable? For example, do you feel that you don’t “deserve” it or are that you will act silly around other people? Do you suspect it is a false sort of joy that could be demonic or derived from subconscious evil thoughts? Afraid of the letdown when you lose it? Joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit, so I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong about it unless there are some very weird circumstances.
Alan
I don’t know quite how to explain it just that it is so uncommon in my life that when it comes, I don’t know what to do with it. It just feels strange like I’m about to explode. Maybe I’ve suppressed it so often that I never learned that there is a place for these feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back