IVF and the Catholic Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter JillianRose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JillianRose

Guest
Hello Peeps!!

I talked a couple who went to their Priest regarding IVF. He told them if they were to go ahead and do it, even though he educated them on the Churches position, that they should not come back. I could not believe that. I understand why the church says IVF is wrong but isn’t that callous? I don’t know what to tell her. I don’t know how it would feel because I did not have that problem with my conceptions.

What about artificial insemination? Would that be ok? I am afraid to ask her any questions on what she has tried. So that leads me here so I can better handle her fragile heart.

Thanks,

Jill
 
Hello Peeps!!

I talked a couple who went to their Priest regarding IVF. He told them if they were to go ahead and do it, even though he educated them on the Churches position, that they should not come back. I could not believe that. I understand why the church says IVF is wrong but isn’t that callous? I don’t know what to tell her. I don’t know how it would feel because I did not have that problem with my conceptions.

What about artificial insemination? Would that be ok? I am afraid to ask her any questions on what she has tried. So that leads me here so I can better handle her fragile heart.

Thanks,

Jill
I don’t feel its callous. Callous would be to tell them that they can go ahead and do it and then go to confession later. Callous is showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others. This priest explained to them the Church’s position (proving he does care) and if they, knowing and understanding the situation, decide to do it anyway, then they are the uncaring ones.

As for artificial insemination, that too presents a moral problem as it is such a violation of the dignity of the person and the sanctity of marriage as to be contrary to the natural and divine law. Aside from the fact that it involves the husband having to masturbate (grave matter), it replaces the ordered unitive process “of two becoming one flesh” with a mere medical procedure.

I would suggest to your friend that she look into FertilityCare Centers of America.
 
Hello Peeps!!

I talked a couple who went to their Priest regarding IVF. He told them if they were to go ahead and do it, even though he educated them on the Churches position, that they should not come back. I could not believe that. I understand why the church says IVF is wrong but isn’t that callous? I don’t know what to tell her. I don’t know how it would feel because I did not have that problem with my conceptions.

What about artificial insemination? Would that be ok? I am afraid to ask her any questions on what she has tried. So that leads me here so I can better handle her fragile heart.

Thanks,

Jill
IVF and artificial insemination are wrong and contradict Church teachings. Catholics are forbidden to use these.

Here is the link to DIGNITAS PERSONAE which is the official Church document on these issues.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20081208_dignitas-personae_en.html
 
Since you weren’t there, you can’t know for sure what the priest said. Maybe they misinterpreted.
 
Since you weren’t there, you can’t know for sure what the priest said. Maybe they misinterpreted.
You’re right. With such a touchy subject who nows what got lost in translation while emotions are high. I have to stop being so naive and believe everything everyone tells me. I do not have this problem nor was I there, so I should just keep my mouth shut. I do not want to be involved with slander against a parish or priest that I do not know anything about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top