Jesuits Question

• Thread starter Thread starter CatholicMC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicMC

Hi everyone,

At this point in life I’m sure that if I don’t enter a seminary and at least try it, then I won’t be happy. I have 2 more years of undergrad, so I have a little bit of time to decide on which type of seminary I should apply to.

By this I mean Diocesan Life, or Religous. In regards to religious, I have lived with in Franciscan parishes my whole life. The Jesuits however I don’t have a lot of experience with. I did a 7 day silent retreat with them which I loved. However, I have been told that the Jesuits are ‘liberal’, meaning not very traditional Catholics.

I consider myself to be a ‘traditional Catholic’ with a realistic eye to the world…a cool tradtionalist if you will.👍

Does anyone have any experience as to how Jesuit seminaries are, and about the type of education, especially in regards to theology, that Jesuit seminaries receive? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

The Jesuits seem like a very dynamic order and I think they would keep me on my toes. 🙂

Thanks for the help.

Just as there are very liberal Jesuits, there are also very orthodox ones around. Its the same with the Dominicans. In discerning a vocation to a religious institute/order, one must remember that primarily one is drawn to the lives Founder or Founders, as well as to the spirituality practised. It is different when one is called specifically to the Priesthood itself.

Hi everyone,

At this point in life I’m sure that if I don’t enter a seminary and at least try it, then I won’t be happy. I have 2 more years of undergrad, so I have a little bit of time to decide on which type of seminary I should apply to.

By this I mean Diocesan Life, or Religous. In regards to religious, I have lived with in Franciscan parishes my whole life. The Jesuits however I don’t have a lot of experience with. I did a 7 day silent retreat with them which I loved. However, I have been told that the Jesuits are ‘liberal’, meaning not very traditional Catholics.

I consider myself to be a ‘traditional Catholic’ with a realistic eye to the world…a cool tradtionalist if you will.👍

Does anyone have any experience as to how Jesuit seminaries are, and about the type of education, especially in regards to theology, that Jesuit seminaries receive? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

The Jesuits seem like a very dynamic order and I think they would keep me on my toes. 🙂

Thanks for the help.
I would suggest making personal contact with James V. Schall, SJ (Georgetown – he has a web page), Mitch Pacwa at EWTN, or James Fessio at Ave Maria University. All of 'em are great Catholics and great Jesuits.

There are Jesuits, and then again, there are Jesuits. I have to agree: you can’t beat the Ignatian charism, when lived at its best. I often ask myself how I ended up in a Franciscan environment, when my heart is in the Society of Jesus. Oh. I’m a woman. Maybe that explains it.

I second Mercygate’s suggestion. Over the years, I have had considerable interaction with the Jesuits. While there are certainly “liberal” Jesuits, I can assure you that the Society of Jesus is very much in the mainstream of the Church. At a recent retreat, I was privileged to have a Jesuit Spiritual Director. He made a statement to me that could be significant to you. With the Papacy of Pope Benedict XVI, the Jesuits are again coming to the forefront of the Church. Pope John Paul II, though a wonderful Pontiff, did not have the working relationship with the Society that former Cardinal Ratzinger did. That said, in addition to contacting Fr. Mitch, get in touch with your diocesan vocations director. Most of all, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in discerning your vocation. I’ll add my prayers to yours in this endeavor as well.

\At this point in life I’m sure that if I don’t enter a seminary and at least try it, then I won’t be happy. I have 2 more years of undergrad, so I have a little bit of time to decide on which type of seminary I should apply to.

Seems a lot of people are confused on this issue.

One does not apply to a seminary. They apply to a diocese or religious order. The diocese/religious order sends you to a seminary. There might be a choice in many dioceses but religious orders tend to have a much more limited choice as to where they will send you.

Get in touch with a diocese and/or some religious orders. Find one that you feel comfortable with and start the application process.

Also beware that the need Program for Priestly Formation has come out and requries 30 credit hours in philosophy and 12 credit hours in theology before you can enter a seminary program. I do not think it is in effect as of today but seeing that you have another two years it will be in effect when you are ready, so what you can get done now might be a big help for you later.

Also beware that the need Program for Priestly Formation has come out and requries 30 credit hours in philosophy and 12 credit hours in theology before you can enter a seminary program.
I’m not quite sure that I am following the meaning of this requirement. Is what is being said that one must have this many credits to enter the theologate at a major seminary? Or that these are the prerequesites for ordination? Or just what?

(Be mindful, please, that I come from the “lifer” mindset in an archdiocese where we still have a 12 year program of high school through major seminary available, so that may be part of why it’s a little less clear to me what you’re saying.)

I’m not quite sure that I am following the meaning of this requirement. Is what is being said that one must have this many credits to enter the theologate at a major seminary? Or that these are the prerequesites for ordination? Or just what?

(Be mindful, please, that I come from the “lifer” mindset in an archdiocese where we still have a 12 year program of high school through major seminary available, so that may be part of why it’s a little less clear to me what you’re saying.)
The requirement is to enter the theologate at a major seminary.

The Franciscans, Dominicans, and Jesuits were having a big meeting that went well into the middle of the night. Suddenly all the lights went out in the meeting room. The Franciscans immediately took out guitars and sang songs, while the Dominicans began preaching; but the Jesuits went to the basement, found the fuse box and reset the breaker.

Jesuit motto- Work is prayer.

CatholicMC, I’m also considering a vocation with the Society of Jesus. One of my concerns was exactly the one you brought up here. I was somewhat cautious when I first met and talked to them but quickly found that I was afraid of nothing really. You can find weak priests and strong priests anywhere and the Jesuits are no exception. Actually, I’m beginning to find that they’re either so strong and orthodox that it’s obvious or they’re so weak and heterodox that it’s obvious. That may not be true everywhere but it’s my experience.

Jesuits have a long formation program. I was initially turned away from the order because it was so long. I don’t know everything about it (And indeed forget most of it) so you’ll want to talk to the vocations director for your province. Also be sure to read up on St. Ignatius and the first Jesuits since you’ll be living the same way as a Jesuit (If you become one).

Finally, you may want to get a Jesuit spiritual director. The vocations director can help you here or you can ask around for a good one (Someone mentioned good Jesuits to ask above). You need to be in contact with the Society for something like a year or two before they even consider applicants, so while you’re earning your degree you can knock this stone out as well.

Anyway, I would be happy to share any information I gain from my discernment and experience with the Jesuits with you. Feel free to PM me about anything. I don’t know much of anything really, but I may be of some service.

ByzCath, thanks for your post. One always hears about applying to the seminary and never the diocese. Accuracy is very important!

FightingFat, that’s wonderful. It still makes me giggle. Sadly I think I would be tempted to listen to the Domincans and not search out that fuse box right away. Something to remember if I do become a Jesuit and find myself in that situation.

The Franciscans, Dominicans, and Jesuits were having a big meeting that went well into the middle of the night. Suddenly all the lights went out in the meeting room. The Franciscans immediately took out guitars and sang songs, while the Dominicans began preaching; but the Jesuits went to the basement, found the fuse box and reset the breaker.

Becuase Jesuits are of the Ignatian base spirituality where the ministry comes before community.

Franciscans and Dominicans are of the mendicant base spirituality where community comes before ministry.

Different focus.

Or if it was meant as a joke, it wasn’t all that funny.

Actually the Benedictine motto is “Ora et Labora” work and prayer. I just see it working better with benedictines. I was educated by them, and am a little bit prejudiced

A lone Raven

Sounds about right! My bachelor’s degree is from a Jesuit University. Boy, did I work. But, I had some of the best times of my adult life while doing that work.

Sure, there are liberal Jesuits. And then there are those like some of the faculty at my alma mater. Wonderful, devout orthodox Catholics who took their roles as religious and as educators very seriously.

Actually the Benedictine motto is “Ora et Labora” work and prayer. I just see it working better with benedictines. I was educated by them, and am a little bit prejudiced

A lone Raven
I prefer the Carmelite motto, but then I think I may be a bit biased.

“With zeal am I zealous for the Lord God of Hosts” (1 Kings 19:10)

I have a Jewish friend who told me that if you get two Jews in a room, you already have three opinions. He meant that among the Jews, there are some serious thinkers and discussers. The Jews are noted, too, as putting a high value on doing. I think the same can fairly be said of the Jesuits.

The Jesuits have room for the most traditional, orthodox Catholic man you are likely to dish up. If he’s not much of a thinker or a discusser, though, or if he would rather concentrate on “being” than “doing”, I don’t think he’d be happy with them.

The truth is, though, those are pigeon-hole answers and just my sense of the Jesuits, to boot. You are doing the right thing by getting experience within these various communities. That is where your answer is going to lie. It is your discernment of how each charism matches the charism God has placed in you that counts.

OP (that’s “original poster,” not Order of Preachers, in this sense),

What has been said is indeed true about the Society of Jesus, that there is room for both liberal and conservative, traditional and progressive men. I think of myself as somewhat in the middle, as was said, in the mainstream of the Society, especially worldwide. The key is this: can you live in community with those who you don’t necessarily see eye to eye with?

In my novice community, there are two of us who are more traditional in liturgy, and others who are most certainly not. We find a way to communicate with respect, and grow in the process.

You may consider, in exploring a vocation with the Jesuits, that different provinces have different climates, so to speak. From my understanding, the New Orleans Province tends to be a bit more traditional, for example, and the Oregon Province (being still a bit of a frontier province, imo), is less so. A candidate is welcome to explore various provinces, and apply to one outside of their current geographical residence.

By the way, it may interest some of you to know (some already know this quite well, I think), that St. Ignatius received a lot of early influence from the Benedictines, especially at Manresa. So comparisons on the motto “Ora et Labora” are certainly appropriate!

MJ, nSJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back