Jesus if Adam and Eve Hadn't Sinned

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

Self explanitory. Since Jesus is not a created being, and, like the Holy Spirit, has been with God the Father for all eternity, what was he going to do if Adam and Eve had not sinned, and thus the world did not need a savior? Is there any speculation to this?

According to my understanding, God the Son would have become incarnate no matter what. It happens, however, that since Adam and Eve sinned, He became incarnate that He may be the Redeemer.

While He would have come anyway, He had to come with a different mission because of Adam and Eve.

40.png
KBarn:
According to my understanding, God the Son would have become incarnate no matter what. It happens, however, that since Adam and Eve sinned, He became incarnate that He may be the Redeemer.

While He would have come anyway, He had to come with a different mission because of Adam and Eve.
That’s an interesting speculation which I have never heard before. I don’t see any reason for God the Son to become incarnate in the absence of the necessity of salvation for mankind.

In any case, it’s not as though the life of the Trinity is nothing. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit eternally participate in the life of the Trinity. None of the Persons of the Trinity need humanity for fullfillment.

True, They don’t need humanity, but then They don’t need to create either. Creation is not the product of necessity but love. The Incarnation similarly is the product of love. God, strictly speaking, did not have to become incarnate and die to be a redeemer. He is God. He can choose to do it any way He wants or not at all.

In An Exorcist Tells His Story, Fr Amorth asserts this to explain why Lucifer rebelled. This position is not St. Thomas Aquinas’ however, but in the Summa, he admits that there are a variety of opinions on the subject. Fr Amorth suggests that the Son was always to have come to earth and that in doing so would take the form of man rather than enter creation as an angel, which is higher than man. This causes Lucifer to resent God and hate man all the more. That is the suggestion of Fr Amorth. I think it is interesting to consider since Creation and Christ are so intimately related being the “firstborn of creation” and being the one through whom all that did not exist came into existence.

One theory I heard recently (while listening to a Christopher West tape, actually) was this:

The Incarnation was not God’s “plan B.” God has desired to be one with us from the beginning of time, to give Himself fully to us. Jesus would still have become incarnate, but our salvation would not have required His suffering and death.

Interesting to ponder…

Of course, God knew from all eternity the outcome of Adam and Eve’s temptation, and knew from all eternity how He would take action to save them. Thus from all eternity, the Son was destined to become incarnate.

I have also heard this speculation from other sources about the angels’ fall resulting from refusal to worship Christ incarnate.
God said to the angels, “This is my beloved Son. Worship Him.”
And Lucifer, the highest of the angels, beholding the Word become man, replied, “No, I will NOT serve!” And took a third of the angels with him.

(Note: Because God and the angels exist outside of time, there is no reason to suppose that such an incident must have occurred “after” the historical incarnation. It could indeed have occurred “before” the creation of mankind.)

As He did in the begining, as He does now and as He ever shall do. Proverbs Ch 21: 30 ( There is no wisdom, no understanding, no counsel, against the Lord)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back