Jesus Prayer w/ controlled breathing

• Thread starter Thread starter St.Ambrose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St.Ambrose

I’ve heard that some use the Jesus prayer with controlled breathing. As a teen I used to do Transcendental Mediation ™ for a while and loved the relaxation it brings. The Church teaches that objectless meditation is a bad thing so I’m hoping that I can practice the Jesus prayer with controlled breathing and relax while focusing on God.

Does anybody know something about how to do this?

I found an article on the web that mentioned praying “Lord Jesus Christ” while inhaling and then “have mercy on me” while exhaling. That should do it.

I love the Jesus prayer! I always breathe when I repeat it. The controlled breathing sounds sort of gimmicky though, I think it’s better to focus on the meaning of the prayer. It’s a great meditation!!! Probably your breathing will naturally fall into a rythem, just focus on the prayer. It is very simple and deep, crystalizing our utter supplication to and dependance on our merciful Lord Jesus Christ.

‘I always breathe when I repeat it.’

that’s probably a good idea. 😉

You should be able to read about the use of the Jesus Prayer with controlled breathing in the 18th century (?) work the Philokalia.

It is touched on some in “The Way of the Pilgram” . But it also states that one needs a spiritual director to help the guidance with it.

Pani Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back