Jesus Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter eoff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eoff

I’d like to start a thread about the Jesus Prayer. If you work with this prayer regularly, what form do you use, and what resources have you found helpful in delving into the spirituality behind it?

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I simply say: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner”

Most people will use a chotki (usually a knotted cord), I have two but I no longer use them much.

Counting seems pointless, unless you want to be reminded to stop.

I have taken to using a ten-bead string of Franciscan penance beads which I will pray along back and forth. I usally will interject a doxology at one end of the beads and a PaterNoster or Nicene Creed or act of Contrition at the other end.

A good book to read might be the “Way of the Pilgrim” a story actually, which will also inform you about Slavic spirituality.

The Early Church Fathers expounded on it a great deal from the Fifth century on. You may wish to read the Philokalia (a collection) as well because later in the East the prayer assumed a much greater role in Eastern Spirituality and many of the leading lights wrote about it.

Archbishop Joseph Raya (a Catholic) wrote about it in The Face of God and Kallistos Ware wrote about it in The Orthodox Way.

God Bless all in their spiritual quests!

In Christ Always,
Michael, that sinner

I use one word “Jesus” as an entry to mediation on Jesus.

I repeat “Jesus” in my mind to help me focus on the mysteries and truths about Jesus.

For those who like to walk and pray - the Jesus Prayer works very well for me in this framework. The rhythm of the repeated prayer ties in well with the breathing and footsteps. Usually a very enriching, exhilarating prayer experience…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back