Jewish High Priest QUESTION

• Thread starter Thread starter Maezck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maezck

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

In my Bible Study Book, are a bunch of maps. So do you see the high priests house on the map? Jewish people I thought I had learned had priests too, which they’d trek long lengths to confess, is this true? Confession and priests always playing a role in the Hebraic Gods belief system. So I wonder what did the Jews do if a high priest was corrupt in some way? How did they handle their faiths I wonder, did they abandon their faiths, or seek to expose the priest, or ignore him?

Are there any cases in Jewish history where this has happened?

Last edited:
There wasn’t an equivalent to the Catholic confession to a priest.
Idk, I’m still studying this bit as Scott Hahn has much about confession and Judaism. My question on this page is more focusing on priest corruption though, TY.

Read the story of Samuel and Eli.
Thank you for the reply! So I found this:

So I guess the answer to my question about the Jewish bit, would be that God absolutely has the last word in the end with the corruption… Which I’m trying to figure out how that answers my question of how did the faithful remain connected to their faith, dealing with said priest(s)… I guess just through faith that God will handle it all in the end?

So I wonder what did the Jews do if a high priest was corrupt in some way?
Why are you asking this question, is what I’m wondering. I mean, it’s a good question, but are you trying to relate it to modern times?

The Jewish faith (as the Catholic faith) does NOT depend on the corruption of a Priest, or in modern times, a rabbi. If it did, we would all be in big trouble. There is so much more to both faiths. The individual is responsible for his own atonement in Judaism, and even in ancient times, the High Priest was not entrusted to absolve intentional sins against one’s fellow man. It was necessary, and still is, for the individual to make amends directly toward the wronged party if at all possible. Only sins against G-d, very largely unintentional, could be dealt with by means of the High Priest and the blood sacrifice of animals. Otherwise, prayer and alms-giving were primarily the methods for absolving sin, rather than through the Priest. It is stated right there in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Last edited:
Why are you asking this question, is what I’m wondering. I mean, it’s a good question, but are you trying to relate it to modern times?
Yes, myself and a few other Catholic women are wondering/inquiring, trying to understand.

The Jewish faith (as the Catholic faith) does NOT depend on the corruption of a Priest, or in modern times, a rabbi. If it did, we would all be in big trouble. There is so much more to both faiths. The individual is responsible for his own atonement in Judaism, and even in ancient times, the High Priest was not entrusted to absolve intentional sins against one’s fellow man. It was necessary, and still is, for the individual to make amends directly toward the wronged party if at all possible. Only sins against G-d, very largely unintentional, could be dealt with by means of the High Priest and the blood sacrifice of animals. Otherwise, prayer and alms-giving were primarily the methods for absolving sin, rather than through the Priest. It is stated right there in the Hebrew Scriptures.
I’m not familiar with Hebrew scriptures, or context, which is why I’m asking. Interesting though otherwise with atonement and with what is entrusted. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back