Job chapter 41 in NAB

  • Thread starter Thread starter demetrios423
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

demetrios423

Guest
New Catholic here.

I noticed Job chapters 40 and 41 blend together in the NAB. Anyone know why? Chapter 40 goes from 40,32 directy to 41,2 and then to 41,1. No chapter heading (CHAPTER 41) like normal. There is no mention of why it is like that in the footnotes. There is also no space between te verses as if the chapter headin was left out in error.
 
I am listening to a commentary on Job that discusses this quite a bit. It seems that the poetic meter of Job never quite fit (in the Masoretic Hebrew) so when the translators found older manuscripts with the verses in a different order (where the meter did fit better), the translators of the NAB adjusted the verses to match. They were careful to number them the same so that 41:2 is the same as in other translations, even if it is in a different place. (contrast Douay where Psalm 23 as we know it is Psalm 22!)

It also happens in other books but much less frequently.
 
Thank you for the quick response. The explanation makes sense, I wish the introduction or the footnotes made mention of it though.
 
There is a detailed note the first time this happens at Job 3:16 (copied below).

This verse has been placed between Job 3:11-12 where it probably stood originally. There is reason to believe that here, as well as in several other places in Job, the original order of the poetic lines was accidentally disturbed in the early transmission of the text; so in Job 12-15; 19-21; 24-31; 34; 36; 38-42. The verse numbers given in such cases are always those of the current Hebrew text, though the arrangement may differ. The footnotes will advise the reader of the difficulties and provide him with further indications for following the progress of thought in the book

Other notes are much more basic and assume the reader is already familiar with the explanation presented with the first occurrence.
 
New Catholic here.

I noticed Job chapters 40 and 41 blend together in the NAB. Anyone know why? Chapter 40 goes from 40,32 directy to 41,2 and then to 41,1. No chapter heading (CHAPTER 41) like normal. There is no mention of why it is like that in the footnotes. There is also no space between te verses as if the chapter headin was left out in error.
This has been changed back to the normal verse order and chapter numbering in the new NABRE.
 
This has been changed back to the normal verse order and chapter numbering in the new NABRE.
Has it? That would be valuable for Bible studies where multiple translations are present.

I am surprised the Bishops’ website hasn’t been updated, yet. I thought they’d do that when the NABRE was released for publication. At least a couple of months have passed since then. (I just checked - yep, it’s still the old text) Amazing! Amazon already has “used” listings. 🤷
 
Has it? That would be valuable for Bible studies where multiple translations are present.

I am surprised the Bishops’ website hasn’t been updated, yet. I thought they’d do that when the NABRE was released for publication. At least a couple of months have passed since then. (I just checked - yep, it’s still the old text) Amazing! Amazon already has “used” listings. 🤷
The NAB rearranged the order of many verses in Ezekiel and those have been restored to their proper order in the NABRE.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top