Job Orientation On Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catholic17

I’m starting a new job at a restaurant and they have a mandatory orientation at a conference center on Saturday and Sunday. It is on the weekend because it is specifically for their high school age employees and their regular orientation would be on weekday mornings which we would be unable to attend. I can attend the Saturday evening vigil Mass, so I’m not worried about that, but does this go against the rules about Sunday and rest from work? I think it might be okay because it is only a one time occurrence for a few hours and it is the only available option but I’m not sure. If I don’t go, I probably won’t be able to work there . I guess I could find another job that doesn’t require this but I’d rather not if possible.

Last edited:
The precept of the Church only refers to unnecessary servile work. The word “mandatory” in what you said, tells you all you need to know. I have worked many a Sunday because I had to, not because I wanted to. In fact, if the orientation only consists of listening to someone talk, taking tests, or something like that, that’s not even “servile” work.

You have nothing to worry about. Sadly, we do not have the luxury of living in a society where employers such as yours respect the day of the Lord. Chick-fil-a and Hobby Lobby would be two edifying exceptions. Many small, privately owned employers do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back