John 21:25: Hyperbole or literal truth?

• Thread starter Thread starter BayCityRickL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BayCityRickL

John 21:25 There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written. (NAB)

This is an important verse and it may seem that John was just exaggerating. But, in one sense, it may be literally true.

If everything Jesus did in your life and my life and in everyone’s life were written down, well, for sure there would be a lot of books. It’s a verse to ponder when examining your own life, for sure. But, it may be very revealing to consider what somebody else’s book may look like. Or better yet, to ask them what Jesus has done in their life.

:dancing:

Right on! That’s why as Catholics, we uphold Tradition because we know from early church fathers that not everything that Jesus taught was written down.

I need to remember this scripture for future confrontations with Protestant family members… 🙂

Thank you for the reminder!

I imagine that spending any amount of time in Jesus’ human presence might have been an experience of constant awe with many little amazing things occurring.

Even the best writing can only give you a tiny piece of the essence of even a mere human being. How much more difficult would it be to commit Jesus’ complete essence to mere words?

Really, it’s just commen sense. Even if you combined ALL 4 Gospels together, that would hardly add up to 3 years worth of ministry. To think that John 21:25 is Hyperbole is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back