Joining a Monastery

• Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

Sorry for the bad post title. :o

Many years ago I read about a very rich man who had entered a monastery as a brother at old age after widowing. Before, he gave up half of his fortune to his children, all adults, and the other half to the monastery order. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the details, but I believe that he was already a member of that order through a 3rd order.

Is this usually possible or was it highly exceptional, perhaps because of the significant donation?

TIA

It depends on which order. If he was a Franciscane or some order that takes a vow of poverty, it would be par of the course. If it was Benedictine, than it was very Generous and of course Jesus demanded no less. In our day and time. It is very unusuall to see a person whos only belongings are, 2 pairs of sandels, 2 pairs of underwear, two pairs of shorts, 2 Shirts, 2 pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, a jacket or not and maybe 2 Habits.

I new of a priest that every year gave away all of his jackets. When asked where his jacket was. Hed say I gave it to a homeless person. SOmeone woudl say why and hed say because I have a car and the rectory and he has no home at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back