Joseph Smith

  • Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Montie_Claunch

Guest
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on Joseph Smith, of Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saint fame, and the Book of Morman and his Church from a Catholic Point of view? Thanks and God bless.
 
You are not going to find Catholic refutations of Mormonism or Joseph Smith because both the sect and the personality are–correctly–considered too ridiculous to merit refuting. If you are in dialogue with a Mormon, tell them that anyone who claims he found ancient writings in upstate New York that nobody else ever saw and that only he could decipher with magic goggles, and that these writings named the American Indians as the lost tribes of Israel, is a lunatic. Your correspondent will really love that. If you want to remain friends, stay off the subject of religion in the first place.
 
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on Joseph Smith, of Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saint fame, and the Book of Morman and his Church from a Catholic Point of view? Thanks and God bless.
I had friends in the 1970’s who were LDS, they gave me the book of Mormon to read and attempted to “convert” me. I read the book with interest which turned to shock. My friends, very wonderful people, tried their best to downplay some of the more offensive teachings, but it was very obvious to me that this was not the God I knew and loved. They remained good friends and were wonderful people, just in my mind mislead.
 
I visited Utah once for work and the hotel had both the Bible and the Book of Mormon in the nightstand drawer!

It’s an interesting read. Similar to when other writers extend the story written by a now-dead author. Alot of the same characters, but the story goes in a strange direction.
 
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on Joseph Smith, of Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saint fame, and the Book of Morman and his Church from a Catholic Point of view? Thanks and God bless.
I do not know if there are books specifically from a Catholic perspective on this subject. You might want to start with the tracts here at Catholic.com. Perhaps someone in customer service at Catholic Answers might have a line on any studies or books done on this strange and yet peculiarly American cult.
 
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on Joseph Smith, of Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saint fame, and the Book of Morman and his Church from a Catholic Point of view? Thanks and God bless.
I have a book called “Inside Mormonism” written by Isaiah Bennett, a convert from Mormonism. Catholic Answers is the publisher.

Nita
 
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on Joseph Smith, of Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saint fame, and the Book of Morman and his Church from a Catholic Point of view? Thanks and God bless.
Montie, besides the book that Nita recommended, there are also:

When Mormons Call: Answering Mormon Missionaries at the Door, by Isaiah Bennett, Catholic Answers.

Mormonism: The Prophet, the Book & the Cult, by Peter Bartley, Veritas Publications.

A Tale of Two Cities: The Mormons-Catholics, by Fr. William Taylor.

Lastly, for a good historical book on the life of Joseph Smith, there is the classic No Man Knows My History, by Fawn Brodie:

amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-My-History/dp/0679730540
 
Don’t know any books, but here’s a bad photo I took of his very good portrait in the National Portrait Gallery.
 
I have a book called “Inside Mormonism” written by Isaiah Bennett, a convert from Mormonism. Catholic Answers is the publisher.

Nita
I believe this is the same book I have if so good read. Small but concise…unfortunately I lent it to my brother so can’t verify.
Just beware of reading too much info in the internet just as there are anti catholics putting rubbish so you have anti mormons.
Also I suggest later on reading apologetic material from their prespective so you know their refutations of catholic refutations against mormonism.
Mormonism introduced me to apologetics so I guess I should thank them next time they come around to my house … (unfortunetly they haven’t done so for a long long while)
 
Do you not having somthing to study more worthy then Joseph Smith?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top