Joyful v. Glorious Mysteries

• Thread starter Thread starter JDHallKY
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDHallKY

I am new to the Church, so my experience with the rosary and other devotions and sacramentals is limited, but I had always heard that the Glorious Mysteries were to be prayed on Sundays. I know the assignment of mysteries to days is not a strict rule, but more of a guide to praying through the mysteries during the course of the week. But I recently noticed in my missal that it says to pray the Glorious mysteries on Wednesdays and Sundays from Easter to Advent. The Joyful Mysteries are to be prayed on Sundays from Advent to Lent (with the Sorrowful Mysteries being prayed every day during Lent). I have seen several guides on praying the rosary, and they have always said to pray the Glorious Mysteries on Sundays, without qualification.

So, I’m just curious. Are there differing traditions and practices on this? Again, I know it’s not a big deal which mysteries you pray on which day, but I’d just like to know more about this…

I haven’t seen the missal in which you found this change in days, but it isn’t unheard of to emphasize one set of mysteries during the various Church seasons. I’m sure it’s just a suggestion not something you have to do unless you want to.

40.png
JDHallKY:
. But I recently noticed in my missal that it says to pray the Glorious mysteries on Wednesdays and Sundays from Easter to Advent. The Joyful Mysteries are to be prayed on Sundays from Advent to Lent (with the Sorrowful Mysteries being prayed every day during Lent).
This is what I was taught too at school by the Sisters of Mercy and how I still say the rosary. I’ve also heard of a slightly different cycle where we say the Joyful Mysteries on Sundays during Advent and Christmas, Sorrowful Mysteries every day during Lent and the Glorious mysteries on Sundays from the end of Christmas to the start of Lent and again from the end of Lent (Easter) to the start of Advent.
However, I have noticed that here before Mass on Sundays we always say the Glorious Mysteries no matter what the season.
Gearoidin

First off they are all guidelines - you can pray whatever you want, whenever you want.

Given that, most things I have seen suggest the following (or at least those that include the Luminous mysteries created by JP II):

Joyful - Monday, Saturday, Advent Sundays
Sorrowful - Tuesday, Friday, Lenten Sundays
Glorious - Wednesday, Sunday other than Advent/Lent)
Luminous - Thursday

Thanks for all the (name removed by moderator)ut. I guess my reluctance to adopt this method has to do with the Sundays between Christmas and Lent. I can see the value in praying the Joyful mysteries an extra day during Advent and Christmas, but that means you pray the Joyful Mysteries three times a week and the Glorious Mysteries only once (assuming you still pray the Joyful Mysteries on both Monday and Saturday, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back