Jubilee?

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholicgolfer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholicgolfer

I help teach the eighth grade religion class, and the regular teacher was gone last night so I let them ask me questions about the faith. One girl asked about a Jubilee and I told her I didn’t know what it was and would find out. So here is my question, What do they mean when they say a nun (or other religous) is celebrating their 75th Jubilee or something like that? I’m not sure what she was asking, but think that is close. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jubilee is traditionally a period of fifty. It has its origins in the Bible, from when the Isralites were commanded to let the land rest every seven years (origin of the term sabbatical). 50 marks the conclusion of seven terms of seven years, which is a cause for celebration, referred to as a jubilee year, duirng which one gives greater thanks to God.

According to David Currie, the number seven has a special significance in religion, representing God’s perfect action in the world (can be further dividend into 3 and 4, where 3 represents God and 4 symbolizes the Earth). The seventh month in the Jewish calendar is the most sacred.

Scott Hahn wirtes about seven representing an oath or covenant; the earth was created in seven days, and males were to be circumsized at the send of a seven-day period.
I’m sure others on here with religious training can give you more details, but that is the nuts and bolts.

When a religious speaks of a Jubilee celebration, it is an anniversary of their religious Profession (taking of vows), such as 25th, 50th or whatever, akin to a wedding anniversary.
Likewise, a priest will celebrate a jubilee/anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back