Judaism and Two Yahweh's?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YHWH_Christ

Old Testament scholar Michael S Heiser writes about rabbinical scholar, Alan Segal’s book saying,
Twenty-five years ago, rabbinical scholar Alan Segal produced what is still the major work on the idea of two powers in heaven in Jewish thought. Segal argued that the two powers idea was not deemed heretical in Jewish theology until the second century C.E. He carefully traced the roots of the teaching back into the Second Temple era (ca. 200 B.C.E.). Segal was able to establish that the idea’s antecedents were in the Hebrew Bible, specifically passages like Dan 7:9ff., Exo 23:20-23, and Exo 15:3. However, he was unable to discern any coherent religious framework from which these passages and others were conceptually derived. Persian dualism was unacceptable as an explanation since neither of the two powers in heaven were evil. Segal speculated that the divine warrior imagery of the broader ancient near east likely had some relationship.

In my dissertation (UW-Madison, 2004) I argued that Segal’s instincts were correct. My own work bridges the gap between his book and the Hebrew Bible understood in its Canaanite religious context. I suggest that the “original model” for the two powers idea was the role of the vice-regent of the divine council. The paradigm of a high sovereign God (El) who rules heaven and earth through the agency of a second, appointed god (Baal) became part of Israelite religion, albeit with some modification. For the orthodox Israelite, Yahweh was both sovereign and vice regent—occupying both “slots” as it were at the head of the divine council. The binitarian portrayal of Yahweh in the Hebrew Bible was motivated by this belief. The ancient Israelite knew two Yahwehs—one invisible, a spirit, the other visible, often in human form. The two Yahwehs at times appear together in the text, at times being distinguished, at other times not.
Further he says,
“Early Judaism understood this portrayal and its rationale. There was no sense of a violation of monotheism since either figure was indeed Yahweh. There was no second distinct god running the affairs of the cosmos. During the Second Temple period, Jewish theologians and writers speculated on an identity for the second Yahweh. Guesses ranged from divinized humans from the stories of the Hebrew Bible to exalted angels. These speculations were not considered unorthodox. That acceptance changed when certain Jews, the early Christians, connected Jesus with this orthodox Jewish idea. This explains why these Jews, the first converts to following Jesus the Christ, could simultaneously worship the God of Israel and Jesus, and yet refuse to acknowledge any other god. Jesus was the incarnate second Yahweh. In response, as Segal’s work demonstrated, Judaism pronounced the two powers teaching a heresy sometime in the second century A.D.”

What are your thoughts on this? Does this confirm the doctrine of the Trinity is in the OT?

Last edited:
Does this confirm the doctrine of the Trinity is in the OT?
I don’t think this “confirms” the Trinity in the OT. Looking to the OT alone, outside the NT, I don’t think one could get the Trinity out of it. There are definite hints and allusions, and one can see the basis for it, but all of this is after the Revelation in the Person of Jesus Christ.
A good theory though, one that I think we see point out the possibility of multiple persons in the one God. And will help us see at least the divinity of Jesus in the OT.
Reminds me of the passage in Genesis when God is raining fire and sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah and Sacred Scripture says:
"Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven"(Genesis 19:24)

May be it is prove of something totally contrary, because I met some christian theologians who even believe that satanic power sometimes speaks in Old Testament not God, but fallen angel.
The arguments of these Christians are “bloodthirstiness of Old Testament” and “human hypocrisy in a language by creating artificial national God”

Last edited:
Marcionism is what it sounds like. Marcion taugh that the God of the OT was an evil Demiurge while the God of Jesus, the Father, was an unknown God, called the Alien God, who was all love. Declared Heresy!

@YHWH_Christ, did you look at any of the three Biblical passages that Michael Heiser mentions? Here is the first of the three:

Can you see anything there about “two Yahwehs”? No? Neither can I.

Can you see anything there about “a high sovereign God (El)” and a “second, appointed God (Baal)”? No? Neither can I.

I think you’re wasting your time.

@YHWH_Christ

In Hebrew, God’s names refer His different characteristics.
  • Elohim (God)
  • Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
  • El Elyon (The Most High God)
  • Adonai (Lord, Master)
  • El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
  • El Olam (The Everlasting God)
  • Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
  • Jehovah Rapha (The Lord Who Heals You)
  • Jehovah Nissi (The Lord Is My Banner)
  • El Qanna (Jealous God)
  • Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
  • Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
  • Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
  • Jehovah Raah (The Lord Is My Shepherd)
  • Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
  • Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
Baal is not a god. It’s a title that means “Lord.”

In the Torah, the God of Israel is superior to other gods. The point of the comparison is to say “the God of Israel” is the real God. The other gods are false.

Psalm 135:16-18 explains the difference between the true God and idols.
  1. They have mouths but do not speak; they have eyes but do not see;
  2. They have ears but do not hear; nor is there breath in their mouths.
  3. Their makers will become like them, and anyone who trusts in them.
I hope this helps.

Basically what YHWH_Christ is quoting is the theory that in the OT it seems as if there are two Yahweh’s, one a spirit and invisible, and the other visible, often in human form. The theory goes that since in ancient Canaanite religion there was this same type of idea, for there was El who was a high sovereign who rules through a second agency that is Baal. The theory was that the ancient Israelite religion adopted this with some modifications, the Yahweh was both sovereign and the appointed regent, occupying both slots. And using the idea of two Yahweh’s as shown above, some have theorized this is so.
YHWH_Christ is wondering whether this idea in the OT was a reference to the Trinity in the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back