Judas' sins allow us to go to Heaven by Christian logic - doubting my faith because of this question

• Thread starter Thread starter Questioningcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Questioningcatholic

I’ve had a question that I’ve been thinking about for awhile, but haven’t been able to figure out. We’re taught that in order for us to attain salvation Jesus had to die for us. But in order for him to die, people had to sin by killing him.
His sacrifice is the act we credit for saving us from our sins. But by this logic, wouldn’t Judas and the soldiers who were responsible for Jesus’s death also be responsible for making possible our salvation? Because of their actions, Jesus died on the cross. And because of Jesus’s death on the cross, we are able to go to heaven.
This doesn’t make sense to me because obviously the actions of Judas and the soldiers were very wrong. Jesus says in the Bible in fact that it would be better if Judas was never born. But it seems like Judas made possible Christ’s saving act!
So in summary my question is that why is Jesus’s sacrifice, orchestrated by Judas’s treachery and the soldiers cruelty the act that makes possible our salvation? I hope this wasn’t too confusing!

Last edited:
Judas didn’t repent.
Peter, who also betrayed Jesus, did repent.

Forgiveness is always possible.

Remember Jesus had very strong words for Judas: ‘better for a man not to be born than…’ Yes he allowed those people to kill him and fulfill his plan but that doesn’t eliminate their responsibility. Those people acted out of their free will. Both God’s mercy and justice are at play.

His sacrifice is the act we credit for saving us from our sins. But by this logic, wouldn’t Judas and the soldiers who were responsible for Jesus’s death also be responsible for making possible our salvation?
False equivalence here between sacrifice and responsible.

Judas and soldiers didn’t make any sacrifice.

Just because I’m “responsible” for bringing about a result doesn’t mean I made any “sacrifice”

Last edited:
thank you for your answer! I’m a little less confused now. I still don’t completely understand why God’s plan would be for his son to die, because his death required people to kill him. And those who killed him were sinning, so it seemed like God wanted those people to sin (although I know he never wants us to sin)!

You may find this article by Dr. David Anders helpful.

He only allows evil to happen, not cause evil. Like I said, people acted out of their free will and God knew.

The end doesn’t justify the means. The darkness that men preferred killed Jesus. And yet He nonetheless triumphed over that evil by the Resurrection.

Plus, Judas didn’t betray Jesus in order to accomplish salvation or any other good reason. His motive was evil, not admirable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back