Just a few questions to anyone willing to answer

  • Thread starter Thread starter RHIC12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RHIC12

Guest
I called my friend a “pleb” in an entirely joking manner, not at all trying to attack them.

Is that okay? On the same note, is jokingly calling someone a “saracen” or something of those likes acceptable?

I also know that Catholics should not swear. I use expressions such as "dang’ in place of them a lot around people and to myself. Is that acceptable per Catholic teaching/morality?
 
I think most of us do those things, but I don’t think they’re okay. I doubt the saints in Heaven still do those things. I think they are venial sins. Even though only joking, it’s slightly crude in that it attacks another’s dignity.
 
The first is merely insulting, but the second is also racially/religiously offensive. I think I’d consider a different form of ‘joking.’
 
A joke becomes sinful when you are trying to hurt their feelings or insult them or your friends are so sensitive that they aren’t “in on the joke.” Using racial slurs is never, ever a good idea because they are used only to dehumanize someone.

Using a euphemism for swear words is fine. If you can drive in Atlanta and not use swear words, then you should be immediately canonized.
 
Last edited:
Pleb means plebeian. Like Archie Bunker. Is that what you’re trying to convey?
If you’re talking about the Islamic State or Al Qaeda, there’s nothing wrong with describing them as saracens. It means Muslims who combat the Christian west.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top