Keeping the Lord's day Holy // exchange of currency

• Thread starter Thread starter andersr915
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andersr915

So, quick question.

I was in Church on Sunday, went to confession, attended a beautiful Mass, but on my way out, there were tickets being sold to a community event next Saturday and I bought one…

Did I commit a mortal sin by exchanging money on Sunday unnecessarily (arguably)?

Your question suggests that spending money goes against keeping the Lord’s Day holy. Is this an Old Testament prohibition, or one based on Jesus’ cleansing of the Temple, or something else?

I think spending/exchanging money in itself is morally neutral, and the morality depends entirely on what you’re doing with the money.

Last edited:
Just buying some tickets to a pig roast on a Saturday. In reflection, I just wasn’t sure if it was a sin because A. The tickets were sold in the back of the church (not in the actual pew area), and I wasn’t sure if exchanging of money on the Lord’s day itself was a sin. I know unneccessarily subjecting one or ones self to servile work on Sunday is, but I wasn’t sure about money itself

Did I commit a mortal sin by exchanging money on Sunday unnecessarily (arguably)?
It isn’t a sin to buy things on Sunday. Do you tend towards scruples, because this sounds like scruples.

And I would suggest that your pastor knows what he is doing, and wouldn’t have people selling tickets to parish events in the narthex after mass if it were indeed a sin to purchase them.

Last edited:
So, quick question.

I was in Church on Sunday, went to confession, attended a beautiful Mass, but on my way out, there were tickets being sold to a community event next Saturday and I bought one…

No, you committed no sin at all. We are not ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not handle money, drive a car, or turn on lights on the Lord’s Day. Using that reasoning, we could not put money in the Sunday offering because, well, that would be exchanging money.

Small necessary purchases, or buying charity items, are accepted in our culture even among faithful Catholics. I do not make large purchases on Sundays, nor do I do major grocery shopping unless I am forced to by circumstances beyond my control. I wouldn’t buy a car, computer, or smartphone on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back