Kids at Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter fif1189
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fif1189

Guest
So, I could use a good laugh. I’m wondering if anyone has any stories about funny/cool/random things they saw kids doing in church during the service.

I’ll start.

I once saw a kid, about 4 or 5, using the kneeler as a bed. He would go over to it, lay on it, then his grandparents would call him back and the cycle would repeat. I was trying hard not to laugh the whole time. To the kid’s credit, he was being very quiet. I was wishing I had some candy or something to give him to keep him occupied.

Anyone have any other stories?
 
My favorite was my own godchild. She was about 4, and we had gone to Communion and returned to our seats. During a break in the music, my Princess asked in her best outside voice “IS EVERYBODY EATING JESUS NOW?”.

You could hear people struggling not to laugh ALL over the church.
 
I always laugh when the youngest lays down in the pew behind everyone when they stand up. Then the shuffling that ensues when everyone goes to sit back down, only to find Jr sleeping in the pew. 😃

When mine were little, we always sat in the second pew (the first didn’t have a kneeler in front of it) on the far side of the church. The pews were short there and so only our family fit. The kids had a little more room to wiggle, but were usually attentive because they could see well. If they wanted to lay down on the kneeler, they could and I wouldn’t have to worry about them bothering the next person in the pew.
 
My favorite was my own godchild. She was about 4, and we had gone to Communion and returned to our seats. During a break in the music, my Princess asked in her best outside voice “IS EVERYBODY EATING JESUS NOW?”.

You could hear people struggling not to laugh ALL over the church.
Oh my! That’s too funny. I would’ve fallen out of the pew in laughter.

I love when the little ones come to Mass 🙂 It always makes my day so much brighter!
 
I always laugh when the youngest lays down in the pew behind everyone when they stand up. Then the shuffling that ensues when everyone goes to sit back down, only to find Jr sleeping in the pew. 😃

When mine were little, we always sat in the second pew (the first didn’t have a kneeler in front of it) on the far side of the church. The pews were short there and so only our family fit. The kids had a little more room to wiggle, but were usually attentive because they could see well. If they wanted to lay down on the kneeler, they could and I wouldn’t have to worry about them bothering the next person in the pew.
Mine still are little and we discovered the same technique early on. Sometimes they still wanted to wander (I’d have to hold their hands to keep them within a step) but at least they weren’t loud or fidgety.
 
I always have the kids walk in front of me when it came time for communion. The priest would give each of them a blessing, then I would receive. When dd was about four, she decided she didn’t want a blessing, so when Father reached his hand out, she dodged and ran to hide behind my back. Father, not to be outdone, REACHED AROUND ME to confer the blessing anyway! :rotfl::rotfl:

I got a dirty look from the EMHC as I was trying hard not to laugh while receiving from the chalice. :o
 
Once when receiving Communion, my brother (about 3 at the time) ran up on the altar quicker than my parents could catch him. He proceeded to test out the microphone “Hello, Hello, Helloooo.” Oh boy, was he in trouble. :whacky:
 
My 2 year old genuflects and makes her make-shift sign of the cross every time we go into the pew or leave the pew for a potty-break. She crouches really low to the ground and kind of beats her chest from side to side to side to side. People love it. 🙂
 
I don’t recall exactly how old our two boys were when we took them to Mass for the first time – those were the days when they had altar rails – when my husband and I came back to the pew after Communion everyone was laughing – of course, our boys NEVER told us what they had done to make everyone laugh!!!
 
Another that comes to mind is, my mom used to be a Eucharistic minister and would help pass out the Eucharist. My dad never came to Mass with us, so it was just my older brothers and I left in the pew. Well, one time when I was about 3, my mom left the pew to go to the altar, and I followed her up. She noticed me behind her after she bowed at the steps and tried to send me back to the pew. Mind you, the church was silent at this point. She told me to go back and I wailed “b-b-b-b-ut I have to go p-p-p-p-otty!!!” A nice lady came up to take me to the restroom for my mom before returning me to my brothers, but the whole congregation had a good chuckle at my innocent little expense. 🙂
 
this family i’m friends with has there youngest son be a altar by and he plays with his tassels and is louder than everybody else he is funny.
 
My four month old, who recently found her little voice.

Usually she’s an angel during Mass…as long as we hold her up so she can look around.
However, we went to the 4 pm Sat mass last week instead of the usual Sunday morning Mass.

This was cutting into her nap time…so she was grumpy. 😉

Anyway…we had her calmed down a bit by the time communion began and she decided to “sing” quite loudly the entire time we were in line to receive.

It was really cute except for the fact that she sounded like a wounded animal or something…most of the parishioners had “what the…?” looks on their faces…that promptly melted when they saw her.
 
This wasn’t during Mass, but at a wedding I attended, the ring bearers got bored while waiting for Mass to start. They began to play lacrosse…in the sanctuary…with the collection baskets.
 
This one was really cute. A parish I sometimes attend has a single dad that has a young son with autism. He was reading scripture in Mass one week and his little boy walked up to the altar in the middle of the reading. The dad didn’t miss a beat. He picked the little guy and continued reading. The little boy because repeating everything his dad was saying echolalicly. When everyone responded “Thanks be to God”, the little boy scowled at the congregation and said, “Shhhhh!” It was soooo cute.
 
On one Good Friday after the veneration of the cross, and everyone had returned to their seats, this little girl who couldn’t have been more than 3 came wandering up to the front. She walked up to the cross, placed her hand on it, stood there for a minute, and then wandered back to her mom (who was looking for her). I don’t think there was a dry eye in the place.
 
This one was really cute. A parish I sometimes attend has a single dad that has a young son with autism. He was reading scripture in Mass one week and his little boy walked up to the altar in the middle of the reading. The dad didn’t miss a beat. He picked the little guy and continued reading. The little boy because repeating everything his dad was saying echolalicly. When everyone responded “Thanks be to God”, the little boy scowled at the congregation and said, “Shhhhh!” It was soooo cute.
Not quite as good as yours, but when I was lectoring and my son was 4 or 5, there were some times that my wife stayed home with our daughter due to illness. We were sitting near friends so I tried to convince him he would be okay while I went 10 feet away to read. He decided he’d rather stay by my side. A number of parishioners commented on his patience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top