Kindergarten vaccines

  • Thread starter Thread starter JLCecilia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JLCecilia

Guest
Before I begin, I don’t mean to start any big debate. I am not ready to delve into this topic to deeply, so please refrain from heated discussion, I am only asking for some very simple advice.

My 6yo son missed his kindergarten check-up and we’re faced w/ getting 4 shots at once for parochial school. I have always just allowed my 3 boys to get their shots as scheduled, but I’m beginning to have some hesitation.

If I’d been more on top of things, I would have had him get 2 shots a few months ago and 2 just before school, to space them out. He’s the only one we really worry about having reactions b/c he is a very hyper, nervous, emotional little guy.

Does anyone know if I would need to sign a form to get him into school with just a couple of shots and get the rest of them in a few months?
 
Before I begin, I don’t mean to start any big debate. I am not ready to delve into this topic to deeply, so please refrain from heated discussion, I am only asking for some very simple advice.

My 6yo son missed his kindergarten check-up and we’re faced w/ getting 4 shots at once for parochial school. I have always just allowed my 3 boys to get their shots as scheduled, but I’m beginning to have some hesitation.

If I’d been more on top of things, I would have had him get 2 shots a few months ago and 2 just before school, to space them out. He’s the only one we really worry about having reactions b/c he is a very hyper, nervous, emotional little guy.

Does anyone know if I would need to sign a form to get him into school with just a couple of shots and get the rest of them in a few months?
You may need to check with your pediatrician’s office, but this is definitely possible in my personal experience.

Basically what the schools (and county health departments that are checking the school’s records) are typically looking for is an up-to-date immunization form. If your doctor is willing to give 2 shots and then give an expiration date on the form out to when those next 2 shots are due, then that would be considered a valid up-to-date form. Then, you can get the next 2 shots and get new forms.

So… talk to your pediatrician’s office to see if that’s possible! I do that stuff all the time because we only like to have 2 shots per visit as well.
 
Em - very helpful advice, I will sure and ask before our checkup so we don’t get any surprises. Many thanks - just what I needed.
 
Before I begin, I don’t mean to start any big debate. I am not ready to delve into this topic to deeply, so please refrain from heated discussion, I am only asking for some very simple advice.

My 6yo son missed his kindergarten check-up and we’re faced w/ getting 4 shots at once for parochial school. I have always just allowed my 3 boys to get their shots as scheduled, but I’m beginning to have some hesitation.

If I’d been more on top of things, I would have had him get 2 shots a few months ago and 2 just before school, to space them out. He’s the only one we really worry about having reactions b/c he is a very hyper, nervous, emotional little guy.

Does anyone know if I would need to sign a form to get him into school with just a couple of shots and get the rest of them in a few months?
I did the same thing for our youngest, and so my son had to have two shots (both of which included two separate vaccinations, so 4 vaccines in all) at the same time.

He was fine. His arm was a little stiff for about 48 hours.

To be honest his reactions would be worse if he caught the actual diseases.
 
Depends on your state. In mine while the school board states that shots are mandatory, the actual law allows parents to refuse and sign a statement they have chosen not to have their children receive immunizations.

Of course, in your state the laws may be different, particularly in regard to what additional authority a parochial school may have in establishing immunization policy for their school.
So, I would check with whatever the relevant agencies are in your state as to what authority/options you have regarding immunizations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top