Kingdom of God: Now or Later?

• Thread starter Thread starter sparkle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparkle

This is an interesting question----do you think the “Kingdom of God” is now, or later when we go to heaven? I’ve heard it said both ways. Could someone clarify please? Is their any biblical evidence supporting this?

Christ told us that the Kingdom of God was “at hand”. That means now. Heaven is most definitely the Kingdom of God, but so is the Church here on Earth.

Dr. Colossus:
Christ told us that the Kingdom of God was “at hand”. That means now. Heaven is most definitely the Kingdom of God, but so is the Church here on Earth.
What is the verse that states it is “at hand”???
Thanks much!!!

Here’s a good study project for someone who has time: get an exhaustive concordance and a Bible, look up every reference to the Kingdom of God/Kingdom of Heaven, and make a note of what is said about that Kingdom in that passage. When you get done, you’ll know everything that there is to know about it. And you’ll have crossed eyes 😛

DaveBj

I just did a very in depth bible study on the “Rapture.” We are most definitely in the Kingdom of God right now. You are getting into a very interesting area where Catholics (and a majority of Protestants) disagree with what is the most “popular” view of the end times as promulgated by people like Hal Lindsey (author of “The Late Great Planet Earth” among others) and Tim LaHaye (co-author of the “Left Behind” series and others). Their view is one of PREMILLENNIAL DISPENSATIONALISM. The accurate belief is AMELLENNIALISM, which says that we are in the Kingdom now. You can find good info on this on the web if you do a search. I have copious notes at home and if I have time and can remember when I get home I’ll paste in this thread. Or if you prefer you can privately send me your email address and I’ll be happy to send you the notes on my study. BTW, a lot of my info was derived from “The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen and “Will Catholics Be Left Behind” by Carl Olsen. Both good books that I can highly recommend.

Peace in Christ,
Greg

40.png
sparkle:
What is the verse that states it is “at hand”???
Thanks much!!!
:bible1: After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God: “This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” Mark 1:14-15

40.png
gsaccone:
I just did a very in depth bible study on the “Rapture.” We are most definitely in the Kingdom of God right now…
I am going to do an in-depth study on that subject at some point in the future (i.e., after I get through RCIA). I was bottle-fed on the pre-trib rapture and the pre-mil second coming. Imagine my surprise to find the rapture doctrine completely missing in the Church Fathers. :eek:

DaveBj

40.png
DaveBj:
I am going to do an in-depth study on that subject at some point in the future (i.e., after I get through RCIA). I was bottle-fed on the pre-trib rapture and the pre-mil second coming. Imagine my surprise to find the rapture doctrine completely missing in the Church Fathers. :eek:

DaveBj
I was bottle-fed this too!!!

I still hear the passage from relatives–“they are in the field, one will be taken, one will be left”…does this justify their “rapture” theory? I don’t know.

Also----some relatives tell me “Catholics do not believe that the Kingdom of God is Now”…they, in their Fundamentalism Do…

40.png
DaveBj:
Here’s a good study project for someone who has time: get an exhaustive concordance and a Bible, look up every reference to the Kingdom of God/Kingdom of Heaven, and make a note of what is said about that Kingdom in that passage. When you get done, you’ll know everything that there is to know about it. And you’ll have crossed eyes 😛

DaveBj
I found 72 references to it in the New Testament.

bible1.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?section=2&showtools=0&version=rsv&word=kingdom%20of%20god&st=61&sd=1&new=1

the kingdom of God can be looked at as now but not yet. we are now reigning with Christ. but as the writer of hebrews tells us “…As it is we do not see everything in subjection to him.”(heb.2:8). someone once said that the Kingdom of God at this time can be compared to the world war ll when the allied forces landed ar normandy.the war was as good as over and everyone knew it. the batlle did continue however with much loss until the end. Christ defeated satan 2000 years ago yet the battle goes on. try reading augustine’s work, “City of God”

St Augustine claimed the church was the Kingdom of God. I believe that to a certain extent. God’s kingdom is where God reigns. In your heart, in the church, in heaven or someday over the entire earth at his return. Pretty deep stuff eh?
Ron from Ohio

I agree that the Kingdom of God is happening now **and ** will come to it’s fullness in His Heavenly Reign. As Catholics, we receive a small sample of this Heavenly Kingdom at every Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, where heaven and earth are joined together as the angels and saints sing together with us at the Holy, Holy, Holy and where Jesus becomes truly present on the altar!!!

40.png
rarndt01:
St Augustine claimed the church was the Kingdom of God. I believe that to a certain extent. God’s kingdom is where God reigns. In your heart, in the church, in heaven or someday over the entire earth at his return. Pretty deep stuff eh?

Ron from Ohio
Well said!!! The Kingdom of God is where God reigns!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3325/kingpicreduc.jpg

As a sower sows his crops, so has God sown His word on earth. In the soil of human free willed hearts grows love and hate for God. Through the blood of Jesus, people bearing the fruit of love are harvested to become an eternal Kingdom for God.

NAB MAT 21:43“Therefore, I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that will produce its fruit.”

NAB MAT 13:18
"Hear then the parable of the sower. The seed sown on the path is the one who hears the word of the kingdom without understanding it, and the evil one comes and steals away what was sown in his heart. The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy. But he has no root and lasts only for a time. When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, he immediately falls away. The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit. But the seed sown on rich soil is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold."

NIV LUK 17:20

Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, Here it is, or There it is, because the kingdom of God is within you.

NAB MAR 1:15

**This is the time of fulfillment. The reign of God is at hand! Reform your lives and believe in the gospel! **

NAB MAT 13:31

He proposed another parable to them. “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field. It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.”

Please visit Parables Painting Pictures of Paradise

Peace in Christ,

Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back