• Thread starter Thread starter compactdiss
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compactdiss

I used to kneel while reciting.
At home I have only kneeled once.
At church no one besides the Priest kneels.

What are your thoughts on this?

Kneeling helps me focus. Not kneeling, the repeititive [sp] nature of the prayers makes me sleepy and I sometimes drift off.

I pray the rosary on my knees, sitting in my car, in my office and walking down the street.

The rosary to me is a big part of my life… I pray the rosary daily and try real hard to pray the rosary more than once.

Thanks for the replies. I too try to keep a constant line going with God by reciting the Rosary.

I kneel on the floor, and I vary between kneeling with my back up straight to bowing with my face very close to the floor clutching my rosary very tightly depending on how deep I am in prayer.

I kneel as often as I am able.

I am not geriatric – and no offense intended – I think age is a wonderful thing – if it brings wisdom along with it.

I do have arthritis and fibromyalgia – some days it hurts so much, I can barely return to standing afterward. I am not even fifty yet so I do think I look like a wimp when I struggle back up to my feet.

So, I kneel on padded kneelers or a pillow, but never on hard floors or kneelers.

Mamamull, the fact that you kneel even though it hurts must be very pleasing to Our Lady. Bless you!

40.png
Jayson:
Mamamull, the fact that you kneel even though it hurts must be very pleasing to Our Lady
Why?

Because they are showing their devotion, and not running away when something isn’t comfortable.

I kneel when praying the Rosary before Mass, and when I am praying the Rosary in front of the Sacrament, but I don’t kneel at home.

I kneel for my daily rosary whenever possible too.

When I first started, it hurt immensely to kneel for the whole rosary. The first time I cringed in pain, I happened to open my eyes, look up and see our Lord on the cross at the front of the church.

Yeah… it’s gotten a bit easier to kneel now that I do it every day… And whenever I cringe in pain, I just look up at Him and know He endured oh so much more for me.

=)
Kat

I must confess, I don’t kneel.

I am usually in my front room on the sofa. Since I am recently returned to the RCC, my knees aren’t used to kneeling! (They begin to shake after a while during the Consecration at Mass.) I suppose I could start kneeling, then move to the couch when it begins to hurt, but then I don’t want to interrupt the flow. I suppose though, like anything, time and practice will improve the strength of my legs to where I could kneel for the whole Rosary. Until then, if I tried to kneel for the whole Rosary, I think I would be distracted from prayer by the pain.

I am hoping to ask hubby to make a kneeler for me, which will help greatly since it will have a top to it. If I could rest my arms against the top that would be very helpful.

Dear All

I think it is permitted to Stand, Kneel and Sit when praying the Rosary, because not everyone of us has great knees and if pain is felt then that is a distraction, I tend to stand when praying the Rosary I do kneel as well.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

I do know that I can unite my suffering with that of Our Lord and most times I offer it up. As was seaid earlier, Jesus bore all our sins and suffered greatly. So, I tend ot kneel and ask Jesus to make use of my suffering however he wishes.

Our Lady has been such a kind mother to me. She has rewarded me with special graces for learning to pray her Rosary. As a convert it was a long road – too long – for me to learn to love Her. Once I did, well, I can’t believe I wasted so many years not praying the Rosary.

One of the more miraculous graces is that the “domestic” five year old boy we are adopting came with many temper control problems. Since he would become violent and destructive during his tantrums, I had to restrain him. Rather than getting pulled n by his anger, I started praying the Rosary out loud while holding him.

I am sure that most psychologists would say that I was teaching him to hate the Rosary because it would always be associated with being restrained.

Fortunatley, the little guy has come to love the Rosary. He got his very own glass bead rosary for his fifth birthday – and he was thrilled. The Hot Wheels were more thrilling, but he does love his rosary.

40.png
m134e5:
Because they are showing their devotion, and not running away when something isn’t comfortable.
I forget what saint this quote is attributed to but I have heard it said that if you wish to do penance, you kneel. If you want to talk to God or the saints, you get comfortable.

Sir Knight:
I forget what saint this quote is attributed to but I have heard it said that if you wish to do penance, you kneel. If you want to talk to God or the saints, you get comfortable.
There’s nothing saying you have to kneel. I’m not saying you should kneel even if you feel like someone is cutting your legs off- if it hurts that bad then you could be doing serious damage. If it’s a distraction to prayer, then you shouldn’t do it. If it brings attention to your own mortality, and your reliance on God, and is just uncomfortable or slightly painful, then it isn’t a big deal.

Another saint also said this: “Sanctify pain! Glorify pain!”

I kneel while reciting the Rosary in Church; I sit when at home but my favourite way to recite the Rosary is while walking down the street or around my local park. I am also into hiking and last year I went on a pilgrimage walk (some 70 miles) from a town called Melrose to Holy Island (Lindesfarne) to pay homage to St. Cuthbert. Prayed the Rosary most every mile of the walk! It is very meditative when you walk it as you tune into each step of your walk.
A Franciscan Nun taught me the Rosary when I was on a retreat to discern whether to come into the Catholic Church. We walked around the grounds together so I guess that is why I like the walking rosary.

Hi to all,
I always kneel on the floor for the Rosary in the Church and home. In night vigil, me and lot of my friends kneel for all the four Mysteries.

In Christ,
selvaraj

I think it is permitted to Stand, Kneel and Sit when praying the Rosary, because not everyone of us has great knees and if pain is felt then that is a distraction, I tend to stand when praying the Rosary I do kneel as well.
It might also interfere with what your doing to Kneel… Such as driving :eek:

Not that this is an authoritative source or anything, but
St. Louis De Montfort, says that the Rosary should be said kneeling if possible.

How To Say A Meritorious Rosary

“I would like to add that the Rosary ought to be said reverently,
that is to say it ought to be said, as far as possible, kneeling. With hands joined and clasping the Rosary.”

The Rosary is primarily a meditative prayer, so most importantly say it in a position that will make you be able to concentrate best on the mysteries. Sitting, kneeling, hanging upside down from the roof (not recommended).

Of course saying the Rosary before the Blessed Sacrement I would recommend kneeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back