Know of any European Catholic Places to Visit?

• Thread starter Thread starter ProudArmyWife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ProudArmyWife

Anyone know of any great European Catholic places to visit?

Yes, Rome is one! Also…

Lourdes, France

Koln, Germany - the cathedral

Weis Church, Bavaria, Germany - statue of Jesus cried

I’m positive there are more - any suggestions?

UK

Westminster Cathedral

Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (I’ve only been to the Anglican one, it was AMAZING, well worth a look, the Catholic one is supposed to be beautiful too)

Lourdes seems by far to be the “Most Catholic” place I’ve been in Europe.

As a Carmelite, I really enjoyed Avila and Toledo, too.

Rome, I didn’t really care for. (Does that make me a Bad Catholic, or what? :rolleyes: )

40.png
tjmiller:
Lourdes seems by far to be the “Most Catholic” place I’ve been in Europe.

As a Carmelite, I really enjoyed Avila and Toledo, too.

Rome, I didn’t really care for. (Does that make me a Bad Catholic, or what? :rolleyes: )
We’re going to be going to Lourdes in May - I’m soooo exited 😃

I’ve been to the Vatican, but that was in my pre-Catholic days. I thought it was impressive then but would like to go back now that I am Catholic 👍

Okay, please forgive me, but what is Avila and Toledo?

Christus Rex:
UK

Westminster Cathedral

Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (I’ve only been to the Anglican one, it was AMAZING, well worth a look, the Catholic one is supposed to be beautiful too)
Okay, sorry about the three in a row posts… someday I will figure out how to do multiple quotes!

We had plans to go to the UK, but our tour was cancelled - something about crazy people trying to make a statement in London with bombs (sigh). Thanks for the tip - I don’t know if I would have thought to seek out Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.

Avila and Toledo are ancient cities of Spain associated with the glorious St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross, and perennial places of pilgrimage for the Discalced Carmelite faithful (Just went there with the wife again last November.) Avila is the only completely walled city left in Europe, while Toledo boasts, inter alia, the best Gothic cathedral in Spain. Both places likely have good websites with photos somewhere. If one loves the Spanish Carmelite Saints, a visit to either one is like a foretaste of heaven…

In the UK try the Carmelite Shrine of Aylesford. Absolutely beautiful.

If you have time to get to Ireland there are loads of places to visit. Here are just a few.
Knock, Ireland.
Lough Derg in Co. Donegal (St. Patrick’s Purgatory - This is a very tough pilgrimage loughderg.org/LoughDergServices/3DayPilgrimage.asp). Downpatrick, Co Down has the grave of Sts. Patrick, Colomcille, Bridgit. Also, the Book of Kells in Trinity College, Dublin.

Gearoidin

How about visiting some places in Poland. For example, visit St. Mary’s Church in Cracow, then you may go to Wadowice (birthplace of John Paul II) to visit the church where he was baptized and grew up. If you do go there, make sure to try ‘kremowki’ - a kind of pastry, which he spoke fondly of during his visit to his hometown. Also in Cracow you may visit the Sanctuary of the Divine Mercy in the district of Lagiewniki.
Another place is for example Czestochowa with ‘Jasna Gora’ shrine. When you go there be there when the paiting of Our Lady of Czestochowa is unvailed. That is really an extraordinary moment.
What about visiting my neck of woods. You may go to St. Ann’s church (where I was baptized) in Biala Podlaska or visit Our Lady of Koden shrine in Koden.
If you are looking to uplift your faith there are many, many places worth visiting in Poland

In Belgium: Banneaux and Beauraing are lovely, very ‘understated’ places of pilgrimage, a bit like Lourdes but a lot smaller.

Anna x

I would love to visit

Santiago de Compostela (Spain) and follow the pilgrim path to the Shrine of St James the Apostle

40.png
tjmiller:
Avila and Toledo are ancient cities of Spain associated with the glorious St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross, and perennial places of pilgrimage for the Discalced Carmelite faithful (Just went there with the wife again last November.) Avila is the only completely walled city left in Europe, while Toledo boasts, inter alia, the best Gothic cathedral in Spain. Both places likely have good websites with photos somewhere. If one loves the Spanish Carmelite Saints, a visit to either one is like a foretaste of heaven…
Amen to that! While in Spain, make the pilgrimmage to Santiago de Compostela. This is the final resting place of St. James!

La Sagradia Familia - Spain

Lindesfarne - England

Castle Gondolfo - Italy

Also, if you are a part history/ beautiful buildings boffin (such as myself) 😃 go to English Cathedrals, the Anglican ones, such as St Pauls and Cantebury are really fascinating places.

Also, pleaseeee go back to the Vatican, it was really great, and I wasn’t that fussed about religion when I went.

A lady I worked with (who isn’t even Catholic) went to St. Stephan’s Cathedral in Budapest, Hungary and brought me back photos and a beautiful string of "Stations of the Cross beads with tiny paintings of the 14 stations in the beads.
So beautiful!

Assisi, Italy!!
Visit Mount Laverna in Assisi where you can see the Cave and bed in which St. Francis slept. He spent his final four years on that Mount. And BEST of all, I would say visit St. Francis’s tomb in Assisi which you will find in the Basilica of St. Francis. I have never experienced such supernatural silence than I did there. But in any case, any holy site which you happen to visit is sure to be absolutely lovely! God bless you.

-Alison

All great sites! In addition, wherever you go, never miss the most awesome site of all – visit the Lord in the tabernacle!!! Every other place pales in comparison.

All great sites! In addition, wherever you go, never miss the most awesome site of all – visit the Lord in the tabernacle!!! Every other place pales in comparison.
😃 lol Awesome! leoyballe I couldn’t have said it any better. God love you!

-Alison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back